2019 British Council/ Film Africa Travel Grants
Since its inception in 2011, Film Africa has gone from strength to strength bringing the best African cinema from across the continent and its diaspora to diverse UK audiences. Following a successful run of eight consecutive years, Film Africa will now be held biennially and the next festival edition will take place in November 2020.
In this fallow year, we will continue with our mission of celebrating and promoting contemporary African cinema in the UK through the Film Africa Travel Grants 2019-2020, a pilot scheme developed and delivered in partnership with the British Council.
The Film Africa Travel Grants will offer African filmmakers the opportunity to travel to the UK to attend one of eight key international film festivals where their work has been invited to screen.
1. Applicants must have a project selected by at least one of the 8 festivals on the ‘Key Festivals List’
2. In line with the British Council’s Arts Strategy in Africa, priority will be given to filmmakers aged 18-35.
3. At the time of application, applicants must be citizens of an African country (applicable to the 54 countries in the continent) and have been resident on the continent for a minimum of two consecutive years.
4. Applicants will also need to demonstrate that they have been working in /committed to the local film sector during this period.
5. The priority and focus of this scheme is on short form work (length up to 30 minutes), including virtual reality,immersive storytelling experiences and installations. However, first and second features will also be considered.
6. At the time of application, applicants must declare any other sources of funding they are receiving for any given festival opportunity.
7. A maximum of two applications per film will be accepted during this pilot year. In the cases where more than one application is submitted, we encourage applicants to put forward different names from the cast/crew team, to benefit from the opportunity.
8. Successful applicants will be required to commit to taking part in an evaluation procedure, which entails completing an online survey following their UK festival visit.
Successful applicants may be awarded up to £2,500 to cover international travel (including visas), accommodation and subsistence costs for their visit to the UK.
The main benefits of this exciting pilot scheme include:
- Travel grants to support international travel to attend one of eight key festivals in the UK.
- Promotion of work to our exclusive programming contacts in these key festivals.
- A bespoke programme of networking opportunities, developed in partnership with the festivals and the British Council’s UK-based Film team.
Applications can be made on a rolling basis. Applicants will be required to complete an online application form and provide evidence of festival selection. Applications can be made by a director, producer or writer and must include the following:
1. Film details (including synopsis, key personnel, tech information, cast, etc.).
2. Applicant CV / filmography.
3. Written evidence of acceptance into the UK festival the applicant has been invited to attend.
4. A travel and accommodation budget, which must include any other external funding secured for the festival attendance.
5. A statement on what the applicant hopes to gain from taking part in the relevant UK festival.