2019 British Council Call for Expression for Sub-Saharan Africa: Art Connects Us
Deadline: March 8, 2019.
The British Council is aiming to increase connections between the UK creative sectors and young creative professionals in Sub-Saharan Africa. As well as building connections, we aim to expand knowledge of contemporary African art in the UK with a view to increase work from Sub-Saharan Africa being seen and experienced by UK audiences.
With this in mind we are seeking expressions of interest from UK based arts organisations / curators / programmers working in any of the following art forms – Visual Arts, Literature, Music, Theatre, Dance, Architecture, Design, Fashion and Film to travel to Sub-Saharan Africa to connect with the local contemporary art sectors, and undertake their own professional research to be shared with a wider UK sector in their chosen field. The trips should take place between April 2019 and March 2020.
The countries covered under the programme (in which the British Council operates) are: Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The successful applicant is likely to:
- be based at UK arts organisation or individual with a proven track record of working internationally;
- have a minimum of 3 years professional experience in their sector;
- demonstrate experience in working with international partners to deliver collaborative arts programmes;
- have a basic knowledge of their chosen art sector in the region which is being visited (although the British Council will provide support in putting together a detailed programme);
- demonstrate a clear rationale for the research they want to undertake;
- demonstrate a commitment to their British Council values.
The British Council will award up to 9 grants of £2,500 (each) to proposals to undertake research of applicant’s chosen artistic sector & travel in the Sub-Saharan Region between April 2019 and March 2020.
Primary contacts for work in the region
- West Africa (Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone ) – Ojoma Ochai – Ojoma.Ochai@ng.britishcouncil.org
- Eastern Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda) – Rocca Gutteridge – Rocca.Gutteridge@britishcouncil.or.ke
- Southern Africa ( Botswana, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe ) – Levinia Jones – Levinia.Jones@britishcouncil.org.za
- UK – Nadine Patel – Nadine.Patel@britishcouncil.org