2020 British Council Egypt FameLab Science Communication Competitions
Deadline: November 2, 2019.
If you think you can explain a scientific concept to a general audience, in just three minutes, then why not enter? You could become the new face of science, represent Egypt at the FameLab International final in the UK, and open doors to global opportunities in science communication.
The competition is open to anyone aged between 18 and 40 working in or studying technology, engineering, medicine, biology, chemistry, physics or maths. This includes private and public sector employees.
- Lecturers and researchers in science, engineering or mathematics subjects, including specialist science teachers with a science degree
- People who work on applying science, engineering technology or mathematics (e.g. patent clerks, statisticians, consultants to industry)
- University students of science, mathematics or engineering 18 or over
- People who apply science, mathematics or engineering in the armed forces or government bodies
- People who apply science, engineering or mathematics in industry or business.
1. Gain access to a network of scientists and engineers, improve your presentation skills at our masterclass and maybe even win a trip to the UK to present at the international finals.
2. By taking part in FameLab you will inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers, gain invaluable communication skills, and meet amazing like-minded people. Importantly you will also become part of an increasingly exciting network of scientists and engineers able to clearly and imaginatively explain their science to the general public.
3. COMMUNICATION MASTERCLASS: Run by some of the best science communicators in the world, this is one of the biggest prizes for all FameLab finalists. There you will learn why public engagement is important, develop invaluable media and presentation skills, and get the opportunity to network with scientists from many different scientific fields.
4. TROPHIES: The winners of the first, second and third place at all stages in the competition will receive trophies. There will also be audience favourite prizes and other special awards.
5. TRIP TO THE UK: The overall national winner and first runner up will attend the Cheltenham Science Festival in the UK. The national winner will then compete in the FameLab International Final.
6. Here a world of opportunities will really be opened up as you network with fellow scientists from across the globe
Each candidate will have the opportunity to meet other science enthusiasts and gain access to the Famelab Egypt and Famelab International networks
FameLab alumni will be invited to take part in science public engagement events in Egypt