2019 ACU Communications and Alumni Officer, Chevening Recruitment
Deadline: August 19, 2019.
Chevening is the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) flagship global scholarship programme. Chevening identifies future leaders and key influencers across 160 countries and gives them the life-changing opportunity to study at a UK university and gain skills and expertise that they bring back to their home countries. It has built a 50,000-strong network of alumni worldwide, extending UK influence overseas. Funded by the FCO, it is administered by the Chevening Secretariat, which is proudly hosted by the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) as part of its commitment to delivering educational opportunities that make a positive and lasting difference.
1. The postholder’s primary role will be to provide communications support for Chevening’s alumni engagement team, helping the team to provide excellent customer service to the worldwide alumni network, and through this help contribute to the FCO’s efforts to build meaningful connections with Chevening’s global alumni community of outstanding individuals to support UK foreign policy priorities.
2. The postholder will also work closely with the Senior Communications Officer to deliver special communications projects. In addition, they will work closely with the communications team to deliver a consistently high standard of general communications to the Chevening community of alumni, scholars, and supporters to meet Chevening’s overall objectives, and the FCO’s goals on Chevening.
1. Excellent communication skills, including the skill of writing for different audiences, story-telling, and attention to detail.
2. Ability to manage and develop relationships with stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds.
3. A strong understanding of and commitment to providing good customer service.
4. Strong organisational and administrative skills, including a high level of proven competence with Microsoft Office Suite
5. A good understanding of the importance of record keeping, experience of working with databases and CRM systems (experience of using Raiser’s Edge would be an advantage), and some knowledge of analysing data
6. Extensive experience of using website content management systems (especially WordPress), writing for online audiences, proofreading, and copyediting.
7. Experience in the use of media-creation software, preferably Adobe Creative Suite (and specifically PhotoShop, Premiere Pro, and InDesign).
8. Understanding of the principles of running online campaigns and face-to-face events.
9. Experience of working in busy office environments with the ability to be flexible and adaptable in response to changing priorities or in order to meet deadlines and contractual targets.
10. Strong team-working and cross-team working skills, with an ability to work independently, show initiative and exercise sound judgement.
11. Ability to balance competing priorities under pressure of deadlines without compromising the quality of service delivery.
12. Relevant experience of working in an HE/Educational Office environment within an
alumni relations or advancement team and/or experience of working with volunteers or
in a membership role.
13. Experience of event management or project management would be an advantage.
14. Interest in/commitment to the higher education sector and/or public diplomacy.
1. Their benefits include 31 days holiday per year (including 4 Christmas closure days) plus bank holidays, competitive pension scheme (10% employer contribution plus 5% employee contribution), season ticket loan and excellent support for learning and development through a range of educational and networking activities.
2. At the ACU, we welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of gender, race, religion, marital status, disability, age, and sexual orientation.
3. As Communications and Alumni Officer (Chevening) you will be employed by ACU Trading Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary.
1. Applicants should submit their application form, along with a current CV and a detailed covering letter (maximum two pages).
2. The covering letter must state what you can bring to the post and how you meet all the criteria of the role.
3. Please also provide details of your current salary.
4. Applicants should also complete the Equality and Diversity Monitoring form
5. Please send the application form, covering letter, CV and completed Equality and Diversity Monitoring form by email to [email protected] by 12pm (BST) on Monday, 19 August.
6. Please indicate in the subject line of your email that you are applying for the post of Communications and Alumni Officer (Chevening).
7. Applicants may address the covering letter to the Head of HR.