2020 Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Early Career Conference Grants
Deadline: March 25, 2020.
For emerging academics, taking part in an international conference can have a profound impact on their teaching and research. Conferences are a chance to share research, learn about the latest developments in an area of work, and build valuable professional networks. Researchers return to their universities better informed and better connected with new knowledge that can be shared and multiplied amongst colleagues and students.
The ACU’s Early Career Conference Grants help to ensure that more emerging researchers – and the universities that employ them – can benefit from these valuable opportunities. Open to academic staff at ACU member universities, the grants are aimed specifically at researchers early in their careers who have not yet had the opportunity to travel beyond their region.
To apply, researchers must:
- Be employed as a lecturer, research fellow/associate or post-doctoral researcher (or equivalent) at an ACU member university
- Be within 7 years of the start of their academic career – applicants who have taken a career break and returned to work can also be considered
- Not have previously travelled for work beyond their home region
- Already have submitted a proposal to present at an overseas conference
1. The maximum grant amount is GBP 2000. This is intended to cover conference registration fees, economy return flights, accommodation, sustenance and visa costs.
2. Successful applicants are responsible for arranging their own flights and accommodation, registering for the conference in question, and making their own visa and vaccination arrangements.
3. Successful applicants will be required to submit a short-written report to the ACU six months after their return.
Submit the online application form.
Applicants are required to complete four short personal statements, upload their conference proposal, and attach a letter of reference from their line manager or head of department.