2018 FCO General Service Officer Vacancy Abuja, Nigeria
Deadline: November 14, 2018.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
To provide administrative and logistical support to the General Service and Protocol Unit of the British High Commission Abuja tasked with delivering an effective protocol service to the Mission and its officers in Nigeria.
Roles and responsibilities
- Inductions for UK based staff at post (new arrivals)
- Plan, coordinate and execute all aspects of protocol support for the British High Commission
- Act as liaison between the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Customs Service, various Embassies/High Commissions and the British High Commission.
- Develop and maintain useful contacts at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria Customs Service and Nigeria Immigration Service for follow up on all requests from the Mission.
- Provide administrative and research support for Management which includes, but not limited to, maintaining records and filing important reference documents
- Forecast, manage and monitor the General Service office budget
- Facilitate clearance of Unaccompanied Airfreight shipments for officers
- Process and obtain Diplomatic residence visas for all UK Based members of staff along with Diplomatic identity cards
- Preparation, issuance and submission of Diplomatic Notes to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Arranging local third party insurance cover for official and private vehicles.
- Diplomatic registration of official and private motor vehicles and obtaining Diplomatic number plates from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Day to day interaction with other Diplomatic Missions arranging third country visas for British Diplomats and Locally engaged Staff travelling on official business.
- Processing of import and export permits for pets.
- Liaise with British Deputy High Commission Lagos colleagues on various protocol related matters and providing feedback.
- A positive approach to undertaking routine work with a high degree of accuracy as well as a willingness to take on new tasks.
- A very strong command of written and spoken English is essential. resilience
- Good keyboard skills and familiarity with Microsoft windows (notably MS word and MS excel)
- Candidates must have a valid Nigerian Driving Licence as the candidate may be expected to self-drive to the various government ministries.
- Inter-personal skills are also important as the successful candidate will be liaising with a large number of business organisations on a daily basis.
- Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Demonstrating Resilience