2021 U.S. Embassy Lesotho Fulbright Scholarship Program for Citizens of Lesotho
Deadline: April 1, 2021.
The Fulbright Scholarship Program is the largest Fulbright program within Africa that provides financial assistance for a maximum of two years of study toward a graduate degree in a U.S. university, or for participation in a non-degree research or nonacademic professional program. It is designed primarily to strengthen African universities through higher degree training for faculty members. Applications are also accepted from prospective candidates in public and private educational and cultural institutions, independent research institutes, and professional institutions.
In Lesotho, the Fulbright Junior Staff Development Program is administered by the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section, which nominates five candidates to the Fulbright Scholarship Board in Washington, DC. The Fulbright Scholarship Board makes the final selection of candidates.
- Applicants must be citizens of Lesotho or permanent residents qualified to hold a valid passport issued by Lesotho.
- Applicants must at least be first degree or honors degree holders and should have a record of outstanding academic achievement and preparation in their chosen field of study. They must show high motivation and serious commitment to completing the program and to returning home.
- Applicants should either be candidates for an advanced degree in their current field or for a specialized non-degree program in a field for which they are well prepared. Applicants who wish to pursue study in a field other than their current field of study must demonstrate adequate background in that field.
- Applicants must be affiliated with or committed to working at an academic institution or public or private institutions upon returning home and should have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants must have a sufficiently high level of English proficiency to enable them to complete a full-time program of graduate study in the United States.
- The age of applicants must be between 25 and 40 years old.
- Applicants with no extensive or recent U.S. experience will be given preference.
Grant awards guarantee full funding for: round-trip travel, insurance coverage, tuition and fees, maintenance allowance, books and supplies, and course-required field trips. Depending on availability of Fulbright funds, grant awards may also include a pre-academic orientation in the first year.
To apply, please submit a pre-application to the U.S. Embassy via email consisting of the following:
- Two-page Statement of Intent/Study Objective
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Academic Records (Certificate and Transcript)
Note: Due the ongoing COVID-19 social distancing measures, applications will be accepted via email at [email protected].
Important Email Application Guidelines:
- All the abovementioned application documents must be strictly combined into a single PDF document and not submitted as multiple, separate attachments on the application email submission. Applications that do not adhere to this requirement will be disqualified immediately.
- The subject line on all email applications must be: Fulbright Scholarship 2021 Application – [insert last name of applicant].