2021 One Young World / Mary Robinson Climate Justice Award to Attend OYW Summit in Germany
Deadline: July 23, 2020.
The impact of climate change is not a distant threat, its effects are being felt right now by millions around the world in the form of rising sea levels, extreme weather systems and devastating droughts. The sorry truth is that those most affected by climate change are those who are least responsible for its causes and least well equipped to withstand its effects.
The Mary Robinson Climate Justice Award was created by One Young World to recognise and support young leaders behind impactful climate justice initiatives that are preserving the earth for future generations.
The award seeks to:
- Identify three young leaders at the forefront of impactful climate justice initiatives.
- Raise awareness of and celebrate their initiatives.
- Directly support their initiatives with grants of up to £4,000.
- Aged 18 – 30* at the time of the One Young World Summit 2021.
- Nationals of all countries are eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Occupy a senior leadership role in a legally registered organisation which undertakes projects related to climate justice.
- Projects must directly address sustainable development/or climate change with a particular emphasis on balancing the needs of future generations – this could be through financing, frontline services, advocacy, education, communication, legal/policy change or business solution.
- Projects should be clearly associated with one or more of the seven principles of climate justice:
- Respect and protect human rights
- Support the right to development
- Share benefits and burdens equitably
- Ensure that decisions on climate change are participatory, transparent and accountable
- Highlight gender equality and equity
- Harness the transformative power of education for climate stewardship
- Use effective partnerships to secure climate justice
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2021 in Munich
- Hotel accommodation between 23 – 26 April 2021
- The cost of travel to and from Munich
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner
- £4,000 grant funding from One Young World to support their climate justice projects
- Participation in an exclusive mentorship session with Mary Robinson during the Summit