2020 WCS Nigeria Program Conservation Education Officer Recruitment for Nigerians
Deadline: January 6, 2020.
CONSERVATION EDUCATION OFFICER
The WCS Nigeria Program is seeking an ethical and responsible Nigerian for the position of Conservation Education Officer. The person’s primary responsibility is to raise levels of conservation awareness in the communities surrounding the Oban Division of Cross River National Park and strengthen levels of local support for the park. This position will report to the Cross River Landscape Director and will be based in Calabar with frequent travel to all communities surrounding the Oban Division of Cross River National Park. It is expected that the conservation education officer will spend roughly 3 weeks each month in the field.
1. Working with counterpart staff of the Nigeria National Park Service, the conservation education officer will:
2. Establish a conservation education program in all communities surrounding the Oban Division of Cross River National Park. The focus of this program will be to raise awareness of the importance of the national park and its biodiversity, particularly chimpanzees, red colobus and forest elephants. .
3. Establish conservation clubs in local primary and secondary schools.
4. Establish close working relationships with all local communities and encourage local support for the national park and conservation.
5. Develop suitable materials to promote education within the target audience such as leaflets, newsletters, websites, and social media.
6. Liaise with colleagues, teachers and community groups on the design and delivery of educational program.
7. Give talks in schools and local communities on environmental issues.
8. Teach groups and interpret the natural environment for them on-site by leading guided walks and answering questions.
· 9. Organize events and activities to raise awareness of environmental issues.
10. Train others, such as teachers, in the use of resources and in delivering educational sessions.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Environmental Science.
2. Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, environmental conservation and sustainable development.
3. The ability to communicate effectively in written materials as well as presentations, workshops and guided walks.
4. Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to relate to people of all ages.
5. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
6. The ability to work well in a team but also on your own initiative.
7. Good IT skills
8. Minimum 3 years successful experience, preferably working in similar position with an NGO (local or international).
9. Ability to analyze, prioritize and complete tasks with minimal supervision within strict deadlines.
·10. Candidate must be a Nigerian national.
1. Applications should consist of a CV and covering letter.
2. The CV should list three independent professional referees.
3. Contact details for previous employers should also be provided.
4. Please also include details of your salary expectations.
5. Applications should be sent to: [email protected]