2020 UNDP Nigeria Community Engagement Analyst Recruitment
Deadline: January 31, 2020.
For reintegration to be successful it needs to go hand-in-hand with community-level reconciliation to promote an increased understanding for and acceptance of low-risk former associates and victims. Though community engagement is a gradual trust-building process, done in the right way, however, it can support the creation of a common vision for the future and lay foundations for reconciliation and reintegration interventions.
The UNDP/UNICEF/IOM “Support for Reconciliation and Reintegration of Former Armed Non-State combatants and Boko Haram Associates (S2R) project is funded by EU and aims to achieve the following objectives:
1. To reduced rejection and stigmatization of Former Associates
2. To increase community healing and reconciliation and decrease sense of injustice
3. To increase sustainable alternatives to violence and social cohesion
4. To disarm and demobilize non-state security providers
5. To strengthen trust between citizens and Government.
At present, UNDP wants to recruit a Community Engagment Analyst to led and coordinate the UNDP-specific S2R project community enagment activities. The Community Engagment Analyst is responsible for the overall implementation the UNDP-specific S2R component of the Action. The Community Engagment Analyst will work closely with the State Government, UN agencies, and CSOs operating in the project areas
Under the direct supervision of the Reconciliation and Social Cohesion Officer and in close collaboration with the DDRR Project Team in the CO and Sub-Office, the Community Engagement Analyst will provide technical support to the following funcations:
- Collect and conduct desk review on the relevante data and research documents;
- Conduct stakeholder mapping and multi-sector/perception assessment of the DDRR dynamics and priority reconciliation and social cohesion needs in the communities ;
- Facilitate focal group discussions with local and displaced populations in the communities
- Analyze the findings and finalize an assessment report.
- Identify and establish community consultation groups, including vulnerable target population (including women, disability, etc.) to design an effective structure of dialogue platform ;
- Promote consultations with relevant parties to identify the need gaps and UNDP’s entry points for catalytic effects for the DDRR Stabilization Facilities and other NE integrated recovery projects ;
- Develop capacity of young people and women on collaborative leadership for social cohesion, bring local and refugee populations together ;
- Support selection, recruitment and training of local volunteers from the host communities and refugee populations on dispute resolution and mediation, including women’s empowerment, mine-risk education, and human rights in host communities ;
- Provide technical support to formulate a community peacebuilding plan through community dialogue in a participatory manner.
- Identify entry points for multi-cultural/trust-building/community solidarity activities for social cohesion and support youth groups, NGOs/CSOs/CBOs to implement these activities;
- Assist in designing the detailed implementation plan of the identified interventions, including potential implementing partners, methodologies, and coordination mechanisms, in accordance with UNDP’s rules and regulations;
- Provide technical and facilitation support to local volunteers and the community dialogue platform to organize multi-cultural/social-gathering events;
- Monitor day-to-day project activities and provide guidance to UNVs and local volunteers.
- Prepare reports, information materials, and publications on the project activities;
- Provide technical support to ensure the project activities are implemented in line with the planned timeline and results.
- Provide policy advice to strengthen synergies and partnerships with other actors, such as the governments, the private sector, and the international organizations for greater positive impacts of the UNDP interventions
- Provide technical support to strengthen the capacity of community groups for advocacy, communications, and resource mobilization, including utilization of social media and other innovative communication tools.
- Support organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc. in the area of community engagement and empowerment.
- Identifies the latest trends in Social Media, Organizational Development and other areas that can have an impact on the delivery of the project results.
- Assist identifying best practices and lessons learned directly linked to Social Cohesion projects from around the world.
- Engage in Community of Practice within the area of Community Development, support knowledge sharing and documentation of best practice.
Education and Certificate:
- Master Degree in Social/Political Science, International Development, Conflict-resolution, and Peace-building or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in social development, community development, or poverty reduction. Past experience working with UNDP/UN is an assset;
- Experience on community mobilization and engagement and social cohesion, addressing issues of community development and early recovery.
- Experience in post conflict environment is a strong advantage. Knowledge of socio-economic, culture, and community development issues in the the North-East Nigeira and Lake Chad Basin region is an asset.
- Proven experience in result-based reporting, public relations/communication.
- Prior experience on monitoring and evaluation is an asset.
- Proficiency in usage of computers, office software packages and advance project management software as well as in handling of web-based management system.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. The ability to communicate effectively in Kanuri, Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.