2020 UK in Nigeria Digital Consultant – Africa Campaigns Hub – AU Recruitment
Deadline: February 3, 2020.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and create high-quality original digital content including video, graphics, photography, tweets and other short form content, in support of key strategic objectives, tailored to different local needs across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Work closely with Africa Campaigns Hub colleagues across London, Lagos, Nairobi and Pretoria, providingsupport to ensure communications campaigns make strategic use of digital communications techniques and platforms. Ensure digital communications are fully effective, make use of audience insight, and are properly targeted and evaluated.
- Support the upskilling of communicators across HMG’s Africa Network in line with the latest Government Communication Service learning and development programmes, including in digital campaign planning, digital audience insight and production. This includes championing the improvement of visual content across HMG’s Africa Network, and working with local teams to adopt a story-telling approach to digital content. This includes using evaluation and data insight to inform campaign planning and understand the impact of our digital communications.
- Build trusted relationships with local, national and international partners, developing and maintaining an active directory of third party stakeholder contacts – from academia, NGOs, think tanks, campaigners and social media influencers – for supportive digital engagement opportunities. Use this network to ensure the HMG Africa Network is fully plugged-in to the latest thinking and movements in the digital sphere.
- Translate business and policy objectives into digital communications objectives, generating ideas and plans to meet them and being confident in providing strategic digital communications advice. This includes working closely with policy colleagues in London and across the HMG Africa Network to identify excellent digital stories that will advance our communications objectives, whilst also identifying and managing risks.
- Working with a Campaign Planning and Support Officer, input into a grid of digital communications activity to help plan future campaigning and media stories.
- Monitor digital output from across the HMG Africa Network, capturing and sharing examples of best practice across the network and identifying teams who would benefit from further training or support.
- Work closely with the FCO’s digital network – including the hub in Pretoria, and the digital network manager in Madrid – and engage collaboratively with other British government department digital teams.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience producing high quality visual content for impactful communications campaigns
- Graphic design and production skills, including experience of Photoshop or equivalent
- Video production and editing skills, including experience using iMovie, Adobe Premiere Elements, Final Cut Pro or equivalent
- Experience taking briefs and ability to establish a clear and nuanced understanding of client needs whilst at the same time able to shape and guide those with lesser experience on the best way to develop digital content
- Experience of dealing with and managing corporate brands
- Experience in running campaign/activity reports and accessing social media analytics
- Knowledge of the social media landscape across Africa – and specially Western Africa – and how different social media channels are being used across the continent
- An effective communicator with strong customer service skills, and comfortable presenting to and persuading senior staff
- Driven and able to deliver against challenging timelines
- The ability to learn quickly and work with a high degree of autonomy
- A positive “can-do” attitude that can see way through challenges
- Excellent organisational and self-management skills to respond effectively to tight – and changing – deadlines and priorities
- Experience delivering training and/or designing training to be delivered by others
- Experience of working in a crisis situation or delivering under high pressure would be highly regarded
- Experience of working with Government departments and/or public-sector agencies