2020 Kenya Red Cross Youth Leader Exchange Programme (YLEP)
Deadline: June 5, 2020.
Are you a young person in Nairobi County? Are you passionate about working for and with fellow youth? and do you
want to spend six months in supporting a youth project in Nairobi’s Mukuru informal Settlement?
Do you want to support the capacity strengthening and building of vulnerable youths? Do you have volunteering experience with Kenya Red Cross Society’s branch, regional or national activities that you can bring into play in an international context? Or is volunteering an act near to your heart, and do you have the time, the desire and the courage to live in Nairobi from September 2020 to March 2021?
Then Kenya Red Cross Youth is currently looking to engage volunteer youth leaders who will work with Danish Red Cross Youth (DRCY) volunteers in strengthening young communities in Mukuru Informal Settlement area
You will have the opportunity to strengthen your cooperation skills, establish positive and strong relationships with both
Kenyan and Danish youth volunteers and gain experience working with KRCS in Nairobi. If you also want experience
with a youth-to-youth working approach, where you learn from each other, then this is your unique opportunity to get
an experience of a lifetime
Your role as a volunteer youth leader will involve tasks such as:
● Support for KRCS youth volunteers’ involvement in youth activities at local Red Cross youth clubs
• Training of KRCS volunteer peer facilitators in SPRINT and Life Skills
• Support the connection between KRCS volunteers at the headquarters and in Mukuru as part of a team with one other KRCS youth leader and two Danish youth leaders
• Introducing the two Danish youth leaders to volunteering in Kenya and the Kenya Red Cross Youth as an organization during their preparation visit to Kenya.
• Ongoing cooperation with KRCS staff and DRCY’s Youth Partnerships Africa volunteer group in Denmark on project implementation
They are therefore looking for you who:
• Are between 23 and 29 years old
• Have knowledge in Red Cross work
• Have experience in creating relationships and a passion for motivating other young people to engage in volunteerism and communities
• Have 2 years minimum volunteering experience (Youth programme experience with the Kenya Red Cross is highly
• Have experience with youth-to-youth methods in KRCS (Especially PEER-TO-PEER Education, but also Life Skills)
• Are open, enterprising and good at working and cooperating in teams with other young people
• Are able to create your own everyday life and thrive in a challenging environment
• Have good spoken and written English and Swahili
• A youth leader currently in the Nairobi County Youth Board is highly encouraged to apply.
• A youth volunteer from Mukuru Informal Settlement currently supporting the implementation of the Young Men Resilience Program and Urban Resilience Programme is highly encouraged to apply.
A. As a youth leader, you are a full-time volunteer and should expect a 37-hour work week in Kenya.
B. You will receive volunteer allowances corresponding to the expenses you incur in connection with your work in accordance with KRVCS
Youth Policy and Volunteer Policy.
C. All administrative costs in connection with preparation and execution of the work, including preparation in Denmark, airline tickets, insurance, vaccinations, diet, accommodation will be catered.
Submit your application with your motivation for applying for the position and your resume (CV) no later than 5/6/.
They expect to conduct interviews on 10/6/2020, but remain subject to change, and at the Kenya Red Cross Youth Development Department.
If you have any questions about the process, feel free to write an email to Alex Ayub via [email protected] Please
note that we only receive applications through [email protected] .