2020 J. Paul Getty Trust Graduate Internships
Deadline: November 1, 2019.
Getty Graduate Internships are offered in the four programs of the J. Paul Getty Trust—the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Getty Research Institute, the Getty Conservation Institute, and the Getty Foundation, as well as in Getty Publications—to graduate students who intend to pursue careers in the visual arts. Training and work experience placements are available in areas such as curatorial, education, conservation, research, publications, information management, public programs, and grantmaking.
Internships are open to students of all nationalities. Applicants must be:
1. Students currently enrolled in a graduate program (Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), graduate conservation certificate, or their equivalents for international applicants) in a field relevant to the internship(s) for which they are applying.
2. Individuals who have completed a relevant graduate degree (Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), graduate conservation certificate, or their equivalents for international applicants) on or after January 1, 2017, with postgraduate activities in their field, paid or unpaid.
1. Internships are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles or the Getty Villa in Malibu. All positions are full-time for twelve months from September 14, 2020, to September 10, 2021.
2. The grant amount is $30,000 for twelve months, plus $1,000 towards relocation expenses. Housing is not provided. Support for research travel is available for up to $2,500. Graduate Interns are eligible to enroll in the Getty’s health care plan. Please note that grant funds may be subject to federal and state taxes and deductions.
1. Personal Statement: Your Personal Statement should consist of no more than 500 words (two double-spaced pages) that explain how your Getty internship selections (choose two in order of preference) fit with your background and career goals. Include the reasons for your choice of specific departments or programs for an internship. Also describe what you hope to achieve from the experience and what you believe you can contribute.
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Current resumes are required for all applicants. Please limit resumes to five pages.
3. Transcript(s)/Academic Records: We require transcripts/academic records for undergraduate degree/s (completed) and graduate degree/s (completed or in progress). Multiple transcripts must be combined into a single PDF before upload
4. Letters of Recommendation (2): Applicants must request two confidential letters of recommendation submitted directly by their recommenders through the application system.