2020 International Citizen Service (ICS) Volunteering Program
International Citizen Service (ICS) is a UK Government funded programme providing volunteer placements to 18-25 year olds, and Team Leader placements to 23-35 year olds in a number of countries around the world.
ICS makes the most of the unique contribution young people can bring to development – passion, energy and the ability to reach other young people. Our programmes are in Livelihoods, Health and Education.
Every ICS team is made up of volunteers from the country where the project is running, and volunteers from the United Kingdom and European Union.
You don’t need any special skills to take part in ICS, but you must:
- be aged 18-25
- be committed to living and volunteering away from home for 10-12 weeks
- be willing to live in a family in the local community whilst on placement
- be committed to continuing your work in your home community after your placement
- not have taken part in ICS before – if you have, you can apply to be a Team Leader
- be resident in the country you’re applying from
Spending between three and eight months on placement, you’ll support and manage a diverse group of young people working together to benefit your host community. Team Leaders work in pairs, so you will have a counterpart volunteer from the UK.
In order to volunteer as a Team Leader, you must meet the same criteria as for Team Members. In addition, you must:
- be aged 23 – 35
- have strong facilitation skills to help teams overcome challenges and achieve results
- be able to build trust to support individuals through difficult times
- be able to take an organised approach to project planning
- have communication skills to maintain effective relationships with stakeholders
- bring a mature and positive approach to challenges and realities of volunteering on ICS.
Throughout your time volunteering, you’ll be supported by your country office. You’ll receive training and support before your placement, during the project, and once you return home.
BEFORE YOUR PLACEMENT
As part of your preparation you will be invited to a residential training session. This will include:
- an introduction to ICS and the agency you will be working with
- an introduction to international development
- an introduction to how the project works and how it contributes to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
ON PLACEMENT: ORIENTATION
At the start of your placement you will take part in a residential training and meet the rest of your team.
You will attend together with your volunteer counterparts from the UK, and further prepare for the duties of your specific placement.
This training will also include:
- an introduction to local staff and your country office,
- living with families in the local community,
- cross-cultural working,
- community development.
If you have any questions about ICS or how to apply, you can get in touch with the ICS Applications team by emailing email@example.com. They will help you make contact with the right person in your country office.