2020 Civicus Youth Action Lab Program for Grassroots Youth Activists based in the Global South
Deadline: February 5, 2020.
Young people are facing increasing barriers and threats to their activism. Youth-led movements are unable to access sustainable resourcing, lack the technical capacity and networks to engage with political systems, and continue to work in silos, separated from other movements and activists across geographies, movements, and causes.
Often times, these barriers and existing hierarchies in civil society often position youth as foot soldiers and not as change agents. Through extensive research and consultation with stakeholders, CIVICUS has come to understand that designing an alternative resourcing mechanism that centers meaningful youth participation is imperative to achieve a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive civil society. Our solution to the aforementioned problems is launching a Youth Action Lab, an experimentation lab for ten young activists based in the Global South (Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East and North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and the Pacific) that would support them in being more sustainable and resilient in their activism.
1. Young people between the age of 18 and 32.
2. Able to commit to a one year program.
3. Based in either Latin America, The Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific.
4. An activist with at least two years of experience working at the grassroots level mobilising for change around key economic, environmental, social, cultural, and civil rights issues. This includes artivism, journalism, social entrepreneurship, and community work.
5. A member of broader coalition, network, or movement working to advocate for change in the local or national context who can represent that movement within the Lab.
1. ACCESSING RESOURCES: The Lab will provide participants with an unrestricted microgrant of up to $2499 USD, access to in-kind support and other non-financial resources, as well as capacity strengthening in order to support more sustainable and resilient movements.
2. DEVELOPING STRATEGY: The Lab will provide opportunities for capacity strengthening through peer-to-peer learning, coaching, and skill-building workshops with the aim of supporting youth activists to be more strategic and targeted in their campaigning.
3. BUILDING ALLIANCE: The Lab, through an in-person residency and regular peer learning sessions, will create spaces for movements and collectives of young people to connect, share experiences, and heal together, in order to build stronger alliances and more connected movements
4. There is no fee to apply for this programme. It is fully-funded.