2019 World Bank Manager, Global Engagement and Partnerships Recruitment
Deadline: June 17, 2019.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
The communication manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Strategic communications leadership:
- Serve as ECR’s lead on civil society and other key stakeholder relationships; provide overall strategic engagement guidance and advise ECRVP and GP/Regional leadership teams on risk management, partnerships and advocacy.
- Advise and guide staff in tracking and analyzing key issues of importance to stakeholder-WBG relations; provide regular intelligence and guidance related to the external and internal stakeholder landscape to senior management and relevant staff.
- Develop and systematically maintain high-level networks and relationships with external stakeholders.
- Oversee the development and implementation of outreach efforts, in collaboration with WBG Regions, to deepen engagement with stakeholders and partners at the country level.
- Develop and disseminate tools that enhance WBG staff capacity to effectively engage with a broad set of global stakeholders.
- Manage the production of major communications content, including briefing notes and speeches for senior management.
- Forge strategic partnerships with key stakeholders around development areas and issues of mutual interest and frequently represent the WBG in various fora related to global development.
- Support key institutional initiatives and advise management on opportunities for advocacy with strategic partners in support of WBG and development priorities.
- Demonstrate results through a strong focus on measuring and documenting impact.
Team and people management:
- Lead a team of professionals while also providing guidance to the broader ECR/CommNet network in their global engagement and partnership activities.
- Maintain high professional and ethical standards and ensure that staff are meeting them.
- Monitor and prioritize demands and requests that come in from across the WBG and arrange support for areas requiring additional help, while recognizing broader departmental constraints and priorities.
- Advise and guide staff in developing and implementing engagement and communication strategies, and lead from the front when needed.
- Grow and mentor staff, take responsibility for their professional development, and support staff learning.
- Share knowledge in the form of best practices, communities of practice, lessons learned or training with colleagues across ECR and CommNet.
- Manages the department’s budget to support the implementation of the VPU’s strategy.
- Ensures Management accountability for delivering the agreed upon work program through cost-effective use of resources (human and budget) within the agreed parameters and in compliance with internal WBG fiduciary and safeguard controls and policies, and ensures timely delivery and overall quality of the department’s outputs.
The successful candidate will have:
- An advanced degree in communications, journalism, political science, international relations, public affairs, or other related fields, and 12 to 15 years of substantial professional experience in positions of increasing complexity and responsibility.
- Communication Strategy and Execution in International Development – Recognized authority in subject area both inside and outside the WBG. Maintains dialogue with key stakeholders to help prioritize and strengthen the role of the WBG. Makes high impact, results-oriented presentations to decision makers and builds consensus.
- Relationship Management, Political Awareness and Diplomacy – Leads and manages the overall relationships with critical internal and/or external high-risk constituencies to foster strategic partnerships and to strengthen the WBG’s overall effectiveness and image.
- Broad Business Thinking – Maintains a deep understanding of key business issues and the broader WBG-wide ramifications of individual decisions to ensure consistency across WBG. Partners with business leaders to sponsor long-term enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Social Media, Information Channels, and Communication Tools Awareness – Develops, strategizes, implements and monitors social media and integrates it into the broad communication strategy for engaging key stakeholders. Leads and directs the team in the use of social media within the overall engagement strategy.
- Access to Information Policy – Leverages the WBG’s Access to Information Policy when advising in areas related to information dissemination and as a strategic tool.
- Content Development and Editing – Provides strategic oversight of overall content development of communication and/or knowledge products and series.
- Lead and Innovate – Inspires and influences others to drive innovation.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Acts as a trusted, strategic advisor, partnering with clients to deliver results.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Leads collaboration across WBG and with partners drawing on robust professional networks.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Establishes an environment where knowledge is created, applied and shared.
- Make Smart Decisions – Makes timely decisions that have a broad impact
- Passion for the World Bank Group’s mission, and ECR’s role in achieving the Group’s goals.