2019 UNESCO Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest
Deadline: February 28, 2019.
Andrei Stenin International Photo Contest is an annual contest for young photojournalists aged between 18 and 33 years old. It is Russia’s only platform for discovering new photojournalists and for allowing them to make a name for themselves on the world photojournalism stage. The winning entries are exhibited around the world. In 2016’s contest the exhibitions were run in Moscow, Istanbul, Cape Town, Cairo, Berlin, Shanghai, Rome, etc.
The 2019 contest will showcase five categories for which young photographers can vie for awards:
1. Top News. Important events in the life of individuals and nations as a whole are the main subject of entries in the category: major political and social events; reports from war zones and places struck by natural disasters; decisive moments in people’s lives.
2. Sports. This category involves entries, which captured moments in sport: victories of athletes and dramatic losses; daily sports training; the beauty of sports competitions.
3. My Planet. This category involves entries reflecting the entire multicolored palette of topics and images from all over the world. The author’s task is to show an everyday life kaleidoscope in its timeless beauty and harmony, uniting scenes from everyday life; the life of big cities and small towns; nature pictures; ethnographic and religious holidays.
4. Portrait. A Hero of Our Time. This category involves entries such as individual or group portraits of people. Photos can be documentary and posed. The determining factor in this category is the author’s ability to reveal the inner world of his characters, express their mental qualities and character through the uniqueness of their appearance and looks as a whole.
5. Inspiration. The photos in this category focus on using the camera to capture the positive creative energy that accompanies the creative process. Any work that was inspired or became the manifestation of inspiration itself, whether it’s a landscape, a colorful genre or ethnic shot, or a portrait of a child or adult taken in different styles using various techniques, are eligible to participate.
The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest is open to participants aged 18 to 33. It aims to promote young photographers and support them in their strive for professional perfection.
- The winning entries are exhibited around the world.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive RUB 700,000.
- The first place winner in each category for an individual Photo Image or a Series of Photo Images will receive RUB 100,000.
- The second place winner in each category for an individual Photo Image or a Series of Photo Images will receive RUB 75,000.
- The third place winner in each category for an individual Photo Image or a Series of Photo Images will receive RUB 50,000.
- Contest Sponsors and/or Partners may also offer additional prizes.
- Entries can contain a single photograph or series of no more than 12 photographs.
- Minor cropping, or balance (white balance) or density (brightness, contrast) correction is acceptable. Framed images, collages, photos that have been significantly photo-shopped, with parts of the image edited, deleted or replaced with a different image, will not be accepted.
- Photos will be uploaded in the JPG format. The acceptable compression will not exceed 10. The image is to be no less than 2,200 pixels and no more than 5,700 pixels by its longer side.
- The file name must contain the serial number of the photograph, name and last name of the author, title and year it was shot, separated by underscores.
- Entries are uploaded and stored by the participant on his or her personal page.
- Photos can be added or replaced until the participant submits the entry. After the entry is submitted, photos can no longer be added or replaced.
- Photographs must have been taken after January 1, 2018. In exceptional cases, series of photographs started in previous years are accepted. In such case, the last photograph of the series must have been taken in 2018 or 2019.