2019 UN/ECLAC I am a Youth of a Small Island – International Competition
Deadline: August 5, 2019.
The “I am a Youth of a Small Island” international competition is being organised by the United Nations (UN) Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), and other UN Partners to mark the mid-term review of the SIDS Accelerated Modalities of Action (SAMOA Pathway).
1. This competition is open to Youth ages 15-24.
2. Submissions must reflect the reality of the Small Islands Developing States (SIDS) as a special case for sustainable development.
3. The interpretation can be from such angles as: economic, social, cultural, environmental or any combination of these. In keeping with the theme of sustainable development for the SIDS, this interpretation can also take the view of visioning for the future when today’s youth will become adults.
4. Entrants must be nationals of a SIDS country (see full list of SIDS below) or a SIDS national residing in another SIDS country. Entries can also be submitted by a third party or an official representative on behalf of the entry. A third party or an official representative can be a Parent, Guardian, Teacher or Registered School
5. The submission must be creative, draw the viewer, keep their attention with originality and innovativeness.
List of Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are:
• Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and South China Sea (AIMS): Bahrain, Cabo Verde, Comoros, Guinea-Bissau, Maldives, Mauritius, Sao Tomé and Principe, Seychelles, Singapore.
• Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize,
Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands.
• Pacific: American Samoa, Commonwealth of Northern Marianas, Cook Islands, Fiji,
French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of),
Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, TimorLeste, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
1. Winning and finalist entries will be exhibited on the websites of the participating UN
Agencies. Additional recognition will be announced at a later date.
2. . Winners will be announced no later than September 15th, 2019
1. Entries and completed entry form must be submitted via email by 5 August 2019 to the email: [email protected]
2. Entries are to be submitted in any one of the following the languages of English, French,Spanish and Portuguese
3. Maximum length and format of submission:
a. Essay: 800-1,000 words in pdf format.
b. Poetry: 500 words in pdf format
c. Song: 2 minutes maximum in mp3, aiff or wav formats
d. Video: maximum 3 minutes in mp4, mov or m4v format.
e. Photography and Art-work: digital copy in jpeg, jpg, or png format, no larger
than 5 MB.
4. No more than three (3) entries may be submitted by any one participant