2019 SDSN Youth Summer Operations Internship Program in New York
Deadline: June 10, 2019.
At SDSN Youth, we empower young people to take meaningful action on the Sustainable Development Goals. By joining our global team, you will be working with a diverse and exceptional group of individuals with a variety of cultural, religious and political backgrounds, committed to sustainable development.
The Operations Intern will assist the Global Coordinator (GC) and the SDSN Youth Executive in managing the youth program at the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), by supporting daily operations and management of global ‘Project’ and regional/national ‘Network’ teams.
The Operations Intern’s key duties include assisting and supporting the SDSN Youth leadership in the following core operational areas:
- Human Resources & Project Management
- Communications & Technology
- Partnerships & Fundraising
The primary responsibilities of ‘Operations Intern’ include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Global Coordinator (GC) and SDSN Youth Leadership (Executive) with the development, execution and monitoring of SDSN Youth’s core objectives and programs.
- Assist the GC in building and managing the SDSN Youth teams with appropriate delegation by geography and areas of activity – including the effective monitoring of team performance.
- Assist the GC in building and running an effective training and human resources management program for all Assembly members (more than 100 team members) in particular the Network Coordinators and Project Leaders.
- Collaborating with SDSN Network Managers and Chairs to build and maintain an effective training and human resources management program for the Network Teams.
- Providing regular updates to key SDSN Youth stakeholders (internal and external) and effectively communicate the challenges and successes of core activities.
- Assist the Executive in ensuring that SDSN protocols for finance and administration are applied throughout SDSN Youth.
- Assist the Executive in fundraising and donor relations for SDSN Youth, including setting up of efficient fundraising protocols across the network, creating and approving agreements, management of funds and reporting.
- Investigating and implementing the use of new technological tools and data resources to maximise efficiency, improve accountability, data management, reporting and accessibility for all activities.
At the time of applying for this role:
- Candidate must have some knowledge of sustainable development and be passionate about the mission of the SDSN, including the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Candidate must have at least 6 months – 1 year of professional work experience, including management of complex projects.
- Candidate must have experience working with various communications and management software, such as Google Suite, Excel, Trello, Dropbox etc, and be able to adapt to new tools, including Trello, Podio, Squarespace, Breezy, Edge EDX
- Candidate must be a proven team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate and manage operations.
- Candidate must have excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Experience with administration and human resource management is highly desired.
- Candidate must be aged between 21-30 in order to be eligible for this role
- A Bachelor degree or higher in management, human resources or any other related field
- Candidate must be willing to travel occasionally (domestically and internationally) and sometimes attend after-hours conference calls/meeting.
- Candidate must possess an excellent command of the English language, including writing, speaking and listening.
- Right to work: Candidate must be able to legally work in the United States, as a citizen, lawful permanent resident, or hold a permit to prove eligibility to work in the US.
- Location: This position will be based in New York City, NY, USA. (Please note that candidates must have prior authorization to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor visas).
- Office: Candidate must work directly from the SDSN Secretariat in New York during the length of the internship (475 Riverside Dr. Suite 530, NYC).
- Internship Length: This internship is valid for a period of 3 months. However, subject to review of work performance during the first 3 months, this internship may be extended by up to 12 months.
- Hours: 15-20 hours per week (may vary depending on workload)
- Reporting: This position reports to the Global Coordinator of SDSN Youth
- Payment: The compensation for this position is consistent with standard internship rates offered by the SDSN Association ($18 USD per hour).
- Travel: This position may require some domestic and international travel.