2019 Reporters Without Borders Rest and Refuge Scholarship for Journalists
Deadline: June 16, 2019.
Restoration and Refuge Scholarship is a project run by Reporters Without Borders Germany and taz Panter Foundation, a non-profit organization linked to “die tageszeitung” (taz), a daily newspaper from Berlin. Both the ZEIT Foundation Ebelin and Gerd Bucerius and the Evangelical Church of Germany (EKD) support the scholarship financially.
We invite three journalists from countries to crisis or was to stay in Berlin. We offer you a time of refuge and rest for three months. The first journalist will be invited from September to November 2019, the second from March to May and the third from April to June 2020.
- Journalists who need a time out from their difficult working conditions. This might be the case after covering stories in an oppressive environment or after covering stories in war or unrest.
- Journalists who feel the need to lie low awhile and get out of the state security because of their journalistic work.
- Participants have to be able to communicate in basic English or in German.
- Participants should have a relevant working-experience as a journalist.
- They must have the firm intention to return to their country after three months.
1. They offer travel expenses, a monthly stipend of € 1000 and free transportation in Berlin for three months.
2. Participants may withdraw from public life, use the time for writing or thinking, or they may want to explore political and cultural life in Berlin. Of course, we would be in that.