2019 Foreign and Commonwealth Office Business Apprenticeship London
Deadline: August 5, 2019.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office are seeking candidates with excellent literacy, numeracy and IT skills, who are motivated to provide high quality administrative services while gaining the skills and experience to become a business administration professional.
A2 officers provide professional office administrative support on project or programme work, budgets, casework, and internal and external communications. Some jobs may also have a customer focus, such as Consular support work. The following tasks, essential to the ability of the FCO to deliver its objectives, form the core of all A2 (AO) job specifications.
FCO departments will configure the roles to meet specific business needs, which might typically include:
• Professional Office Administration/Support: Creating and maintaining electronic filing systems, databases and distribution lists; dealing with telephone and email enquiries; organising meetings/events and taking notes in meetings; organising travel arrangements; diary management; maintaining stationery supplies; a corporate role such as fire warden or first aider, for which training will be provided.
• Customer Liaison and Support; Supporting the team by requesting and collating briefing and information for replies to Parliamentary Questions; producing basic research analysis; dealing with Freedom of Information requests and drafting replies to members of the public.
• Project Management Support: Monitoring progress against objectives and conducting research for the team. Maintaining accurate records and collating papers for programme boards.
• Budget Management: Budget monitoring, requisitioning and raising purchase orders and manipulation of data using spreadsheets; assisting with budget forecasting and understanding commercial and procurement policies.
• Communications Support: Publishing on internal media (Intranet, Bulletin and Newsletters). Digital support, including updating content on internal IT platforms.
1. Qualifications needed: 5 GCSEs (including English and Maths) at Grade C/5 or above (or equivalent).
2. Excellent literacy, numeracy and IT skills.
3. Competent using IT packages including Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel and, ideally, knowledge of Microsoft Windows 10.
4. Good interpersonal, team-working and communication skills (oral and written).
5. Good organisational, analytical and planning skills with the ability to work to tight deadlines.
6. Able to make effective decisions, identify problems and propose solutions to maintain a quality service.
7. Meet the minimum standard of the Success Profiles framework’s behaviours and strengths listed below.
8. You are a British Citizen
9. You will have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years by 31 December 2019.