2019 EarthCorps International Program for Environmental Leaders
Deadline: January 7, 2019.
EarthCorps is a Seattle-based nonprofit organization with a mission of developing leaders to strengthen community and restore the health of our environment. EarthCorps’ International Corps Program is an intensive 6-month-long training and service opportunity. We unite young adults (age 18-28) from across the United States and around the world to learn skills in habitat restoration, community building, and leadership. EarthCorps program participants are part of a diverse group of emerging environmental leaders committed to teamwork, service, and personal growth.
The international Corps Member position with EarthCorps is a 6-month service learning experience for non-U.S. citizens, which takes place in Seattle, Washington, USA. Young environmental leaders from countries outside the United States will join US AmeriCorps Members to develop skills in environmental service, community building and leadership. International Corps Members are sponsored by EarthCorps on a J-1 Trainee visa.
This is not a classroom or workshop. Corps Members spend 80% of their time in the field, engaged in environmental restoration projects throughout the Puget Sound region of Washington State. Restoration is physically demanding and takes place outdoors in all weather conditions.
FIELD SERVICE (80% of program)
Corps Members work on a crew of 5-7 young adults performing environmental restoration. A Crew Leader guides the crew as they complete restoration projects throughout the Puget Sound region (in urban, suburban, and rural settings).
TRAINING & WORKSHOPS (20% of program)
Corps Members participate fully in retreats, workshops, and field trainings. These sessions provide skills and context for the restoration work that Corps Members complete. Topics covered include environmental restoration theories and concepts, natural resource management and global environmental issues, basic botany and ecology of the Pacific Northwest, leadership skills, and interpersonal and cross-cultural communication. Outcomes for each theme include:
- Understanding of Best Management Practices of ecological restoration
- Exposure, knowledge and skill in the restoration and conservation field
- Exposure to PNW restoration industry and local environmental network
- Modeling of effective pace, quality, and quantity to fit environmental industry standards
- Creating a strong internal community
- Working in a multi-cultural community
- Exposure to local PNW community and issues
- Leading in a diverse, multi-cultural setting
- Leading a variety of community environmental restoration events
- Understanding of leadership theory and personal style
Corps Member Education & Training (in workshops and/or in the field) includes:
- Pacific Northwest Natural History
- Ecological Restoration Overview
- Watershed and Vegetation Management
- Urban Forestry
- Volunteer Event Management
- Diversity Training
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Safety: Field Health & Safety, Risk Management, Site Safety, First Aid, CPR, Driving
- Leadership Skills & Practices
- Performance Evaluations
- Eligibility for J-1 Trainee Visa:
- University degree in a related field and 1 year of work experience
- 5 years of work/volunteer experience in a related field
- Ability to work hard in all weather conditions,
- Commitment to cooperation and teamwork with peers from around the world,
- Conversational English ability,
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds (22.5 kg); Hike up to 8 miles (13 km) while carrying 40 pounds (18kg) of weight for up to 9 hours per day.
- Experience in outdoor field work or physical labor,
- Commitment to community service and previous experience in volunteer service,
- Enthusiasm for environmental conservation, science, recreation or other related field,
- Capacity to learn and grow in a service training position,
- Between 18-28 years old
- Homestay provided (room and board)
- Days off permissible as designated by EarthCorps
- Holidays will be paid as designated by EarthCorps
- Medical Insurance
- Bus Pass provided
- Education & Training
- Boots, pants, t-shirt, rain gear and safety equipment provided