2019 British Deputy High Commission Lagos Freight And Travel Manager Recruitment
Deadline: September 13, 2019.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Co-ordinate arrival and departure arrangements for UK Based staff in the BDHC Lagos and BHC Abuja, including officers of the Department for International Development, and the British Council, as these relate to the movement of their personal effects.
- Provide guidance to new arrivals expected at Post relating to shipping and clearance of heavy baggage and UAF consignments and advise timelines for expected delivery.
- Liaise with Pickfords on the movement of all heavy baggage consignments to and from Post and issue call forward notices on completion of pre-clearance.
- Check and approve draft shipping documents for all origin agents and provide guidelines for the despatch of consignments to Post.
- Establish, develop and maintain useful contacts at the Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Customs Service and Nigeria Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Follow up approvals with relevant government ministries, departments and agencies including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and respond to queries from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and agencies pertaining to approvals for clearance.
- Liaise with clearing agents over clearance of general goods including personal effects, motor vehicles, furniture/fittings, medical supplies and perishables and supervise their deliveries, safe keep and/or storage.
- Carry out goods inspections at the air and seaports as required and attend to any discrepancies.
- Registration of Diplomatic vehicles with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and issuance of number plates to officers and official vehicles.
- Process and obtain permission to sell from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for vehicles imported under diplomatic privilege.
- Obtain vehicle travel documents for officers and official vehicles and maintenance of an up to date vehicle list for the Mission.
- Processing and obtaining re-entry visas and Diplomatic Identity Cards for members of the UK based staff.
- Process and obtain End User Certificate from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) for the Missions Armoured vehicles importation.
- Process requisitions and purchase orders for freight clearances and check invoices submitted for payment.
- Process payments for agents for clearance of all imports for the Mission including import and export of AF bags.
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in any of the Social Science disciplines
- At least 3 years relevant experience in Cargo / Freight Management, Travel and Protocol
- An excellent command of the English language – oral and written
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills including the ability to work with colleagues across departments
- Good problem solving skills and ability to think outside the box to deal with complex issues
- A self starter who is able to work with very minimal supervision delivering a quality service
- Good organisational and analytical skills
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools – Word, Outlook, Excel.
- Familiarity with the clearance and delivery processes for diplomatic shipments and International Donor Consignments for DFID sponsored projects
- Familiarity with the Accreditation process for qualifying Diplomats
- Good contacts base at relevant agencies including the Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Immigration Service, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and ability to engage
- Use of Import Duty Exemption Cerificates for clearance of Non-Diplomatic goods
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
1. The successful applicant will have access to a range of Learning and Development opportunities including in-house e-learning, Civil Service Learning and training offered by the Diplomatic Academy Regional Team (DART).
2. Full time position, with core working hours between 7.30am – 3.30pm, Monday to Thursday and 7.30am – 12.30pm on Friday. However, the job holder will need to be flexible to respond to occasional time bound assignments as these arise.