2019 Allan and Nesta Ferguson Master’s Scholarship at SOAS
Deadline: February 20, 2019.
Thanks to the generosity of the Allan and Nesta Ferguson Charitable trust, three Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarships have been established for African Students (African nationals and resident in Africa), who wish to undertake a taught masters course at SOAS. Students offered an Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship must take it up in the academic year 2019/20 and it cannot be carried forward to a later year.
- Full-time MA African Studies
- Full-time MA International Studies and Diplomacy
- Full-time MA Social Anthropology of Development
- Be nationals of and resident in an African country
- Hold an undergraduate degree at the first class level
- Hold an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible programmes by the scholarship deadline. Priority may be given to applicants with unconditional offers. If your offer is conditional, please ensure you meet the conditions as soon as possible.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirement as soon as possible.
1. Each Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship covers tuition fees in full and provides a maintenance grant of £7,000.
2. In addition to this, International Student’s House (ISH) provides free accommodation and a food scholarship.
3. The scholarship recipient must reside at International Student House during the whole of your course. ISH is an independent educational charity that runs a large student hostel near the School, together with social facilities for international students in London. It has a close association with the University of London.
4. You should also be aware that in return for the residential scholarship, ISH expects their scholarship students to play an active role in the life of ISH.
5. In addition you may be asked to work on a voluntary basis within the House for a few hours each month.
6. The Ferguson scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic merit.
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
You must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue a full-time masters programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of the year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2019).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 16:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2019.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2019.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091