2019 African Union Saleema Initiative Logo Competition
Deadline: August 25, 2019.
The African Union Commission, through the Department of Social Affairs, is
developping a Continental Initiative aiming at eliminating Female Genital Mutilation in
Africa by 2030 – The Saleema Initiative.
This Saleema Initiative aims at changing the negative social norms which Female
Genital Mutilation is rooted in, by adopting a holistic approach that considers this
harmful practice a result of a given social, political, economic and anthropological
context. The Commission believes that it is only through enhancing the cognitive
social capital of communities as a whole, and community members individually, that
Female Genital Mutilation will be abandoned.
Open to all African Youth between the age of 18 and 35years.
The winner of the competition will:
1. Win a 1000USD prize
2. Win a trip and an invitation to collect their prize at a High Level Event
specifically organized to thank them for their participation in the making of the
The logo that will be selected to be the visual identity of the Saleema Initiative:
1. Will send a positive, culturally sensitive message
2. Will be a sign of empowerment for girls, women and communities
3. Will be inspired by African imagery and/or cultural iconography
4. Will respect the African Union Color palette
5. Will send a proposal before Sunday 25th of August 2019 00:00
6. Proposals must be set to the address firstname.lastname@example.org