Main Home › Forums › Fellowship Discussions › TIPS ON HOW TO APPLY FOR THE YALI WEST AFRICA REGIONAL PROGRAMS
- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 years, 2 months ago by Funmilola Awosanya.
April 3, 2019 at 2:34 pm #8053Funmilola AwosanyaKeymaster
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35.
Supporting this progress, the Accra Regional Leadership Centre (RLC), as part of the United States government initiative, Young African Leadership Initiative (YALI), will offer an innovative and game changing leadership training program in Africa. The program will be hosted by Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), and the first cohort will walk through the doors on the 31st July 2014.
Three (3) tracks are available for you to choose from. Be mindful of the track you selected , ensure it relates with your present and future goals as a change maker.
1. Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
2. Civil Society Management: This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
3. Public Policy and Management: This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is a merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Visa to Accra (if required)
Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Accra, Ghana
Transportation to/from Kotoka International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa - Accra, for all non-Ghanaian participants
For Ghanaian, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa - Accra will be provided for from your location of residence
Customized academic and leadership course;
Accident and sickness benefit plan during the course
Housing and meals
USING THE STAR TECHNIQUE
With this few steps you are sure to Ace the application and interview stage.
State the situation or event that occur that ignite the passion for you doing what you do. It can be a personal story or an event you witness or that of a friend. Tell the story from you perspective.
What are you trying to achieve or solve from the situation you observed or witness or went through?
What activities did you put in place, what did you do? Did you combine forces with other organization? Include it as it shows how much you can work in a team. Why did you do what what you do.
What did you achieve after you took the action? Explain your how and WHY you are making an impact in your community and country at large.
Don’t just state all your accomplishment. State why you need them to invest in you, train you and select you from over 5,000 applications.
Remember to always use figures when telling a story.
Do a lot of research on the YALI RLC Regional Leadership Centers, the alumnus and their work.
Get someone to proof read your essay before submission.
To apply: https://oppourtunities.com/2019-yali-rlc-west-africa-emerging-leaders-program-ghana-onsite-cohort-14/
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.