2023 Acumen West Africa Fellowship for Emerging Leaders
Deadline: July 12, 2022.
West Africa is home to some of the world’s fastest growing economies – yet it will require a different type of leadership to ensure that the fruits of this growth are felt by all. It will require leaders grounded in integrity, and relentless in their pursuit of equity and justice.
Each year, the Acumen Fellowship in West Africa selects ~20 Fellows from across sectors, countries, and backgrounds who are tackling issues of poverty and injustice, and equips them with the practices and community needed to deepen and sustain their impact.
The Fellowship begins with a year-long fully-funded leadership programme, where Fellows remain in their role while taking part in a series of immersive seminars, workshops, and group practice. This is where practical skills meet moral imagination. The programme is designed to equip Fellows with the tools, mindset, and community to tackle poverty and injustice in their communities.
The Fellows Programme is centred around:
- Self-reflection: Fellows have space to broaden their perspectives and identify areas of personal development
- Cohort based learning: Fellows have space to practice new modes of leadership with a diverse group of builders from across sectors and backgrounds.
- Real-world application: Fellows take away learning that can be immediately applied to their social change work to generate lasting impact.
- They are looking for Fellows who have demonstrated a deep commitment to tackling poverty and injustice in their communities.
- They are looking for individuals who currently have an influencing role in an organisation, initiative, or movement committed to fighting poverty or injustice in any of the following countries in West Africa: Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and The Gambia.
- Fellows can be working in any sector (including for-profit, nonprofit, and government) and are typically on one of the following trajectories: social entrepreneur, organisation builder and intrapreneurs.
- There are no specific academic prerequisites. Some Fellows have no formal education, others have degrees from global institutions.
- There is neither a minimum age requirement nor a maximum age cut off.
Acumen Academy West Africa covers all program-related expenses during the Fellowship year – this includes accommodation, food, venue, and flight costs for the in-person immersive seminars.