2022 UNCDF Regional Office for West and Central Africa Internship Program
Deadline: January 13, 2022.
UNCDF (UN Capital Development Fund) is the United Nations Capital Development for local development finance, inclusive finance and the promotion of Women and Youth empowerment in the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) whose main objective is to facilitate access to public and private capital for the most underserved people. Its expertise enables it to develop «last mile» financial models in areas where infrastructures, access to basic services, financial and non-financial services are lacking to unlock public and private resources at the national level. The expected impact is to reduce poverty and encourage economic local development. UNCDF’s work is based on two approaches:
- Financial inclusion – New technologies and saving-based approach allowing individuals, households and small businesses to better participate in the local economic development by providing the tools and financial services they need to escape poverty and manage their financial situations;
- Localized Investments – Thanks to fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal financing and structural financing of projects –, which contribute to promote public and private financing to boost local economic growth and sustainable development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
More specifically, the Intern will support UNCDF teams in the implementation and development of their programs by:
- Providing analytical support for conducting research on financing local development in the region;
- Developing communication tools
- Drafting of project/framing documents, technical reports, performance reviews and country annual reports;
- Elaborating annual work plans, powerpoint presentations, 2-pagers, etc.
- Participating in and organizing working meetings and consultations with project stakeholders and writing and sharing of minutes
- Supporting UNCDF’s resource mobilization efforts by supporting the team in the conception and drafting of project proposals.
Applicants to the UNCDF internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- (a) Candidate must be enrolled in a graduate degree programme in Management, Economics, Politics or another related field; OR
- (b) Be enrolled in the last academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) in a related field of study
- (c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) less than one year before the beginning of the internship.
- Excellent knowledge of French and English (written and oral).
- Demonstrated interest in rural/local development issues in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Excellent writing, analytical and research skills;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and the use of social media and other online tools in French and English;
- Ability to take initiatives and work independently and in teams;
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- The Intern will be home-based;
- The Intern will work under the supervision of the UNCDF Regional Coordinator in WCA and its team;
- The position is open to candidates from all nationalities, Senegalese included;
- Please note that internships are given a monthly stipend of approxiately USD 100 per month in their local currency;
- UNCDF’s internal rules do not allow the organization to provide compensation for travel and living expenses;
- Please note that interns are not employees of UNCDF;
- All costs/fees associated with the intern’s participation in the program must be borne by the Intern.
- In your application, please state in one paragraph why you would like to be considered for the internship and your primary motivation to apply for this role
- Please note that you will need to answer the mandatory questions on timeframe and availability (under Additional Questions section), which is a part of the internship application process, in addition to your cover letter;
- Please submit your Resume/CV and an application using the UNCDF Internship Application form: http://www.uncdf.org/download/file/127/2509/internshipdoc
- Applications should include the application form and latest resume. Applicants are welcome to submit any additional work samples or portfolios in one single file, preferably PDF
- Please note that the UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents (CV/ Resume, Cover Letter etc. into a single file before uploading).
- Interested candidates can apply at any time indicating the timeframe of their availability in the internship form. However, only those candidates selected for interviews/ further assessment by hiring managers will be contacted.