2022 Rhodes Global Scholarship for Postgraduate Programme at Oxford University
Deadline: August 2, 2021.
The Rhodes Scholarships, established in 1903, are the oldest international scholarship programme in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the programme offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities. Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
a. Nationality/citizenship: Eligibility to any other Rhodes Scholarship renders you ineligible to apply for a Global
Scholarship, i.e. if you are eligible to apply via any existing Rhodes Constituency
(https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/list-of-rhodes-scholarship-countries/), you must apply there.
Please also see the information below and online regarding inter-jurisdictional consideration – it may be in
your interest to pursue that route rather than to apply for a Global Scholarship, which will likely be the most
competitive Scholarships offered by the Rhodes Trust.
b. Age: Upon 1 October 2021, you must meet either of the below criteria:
i. You must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October
1997 and on or before 1 October 2003).
OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
ii. You must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1994) AND you have met or
will meet the requirements for completion of your first degree on or after 1 October 2020*
c. Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2022) an undergraduate
degree with a First Class or minimum GPA minimum of 3.70 out of 4.0 (or equivalent). Please note carefully the
requirements for your chosen course at Oxford, which may be higher still. Successful candidates typically feature
within the top few ranks of their graduating classes.
d. English language: You must have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency
requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
e. If unsuccessful in your first application to the Rhodes Scholarships, you may subsequently re-apply only once more
(and this must be in the same constituency), subject to meeting the eligibility criteria.
- The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University (and College) fees as well as providing an annual stipend. For the 2019/20 academic year, the stipend will be £15,900 per annum (£1,325 per month)
- Rhodes Trust will cover the fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford.
- The Trust will cover the fee for a Tier 4 study visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service.
- The Rhodes Trust will cover two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
- On arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling in allowance (£225 in 2019-20).
- For those Scholars who transition to a second course of study in Oxford, they will again receive assistance to cover the fee for visa renewal and further application for IHS.