2022 Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program
Deadline: May 14, 2021.
Applications are now open for the 2022–2023 Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program. This program is an opportunity for South African university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in their field of expertise at an academic or research institution in the United States for a period of three to nine months.
The fully-funded grant enables successful applicants to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at their home institution.
- Applicants must be South African citizens or permanent residents (minimum of 5 years of permanent resident status required).
- Open to Scholars in all disciplines and without regard to gender or age. Please note: proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applications for doctoral dissertation research, post-doctoral research immediately following the completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel, are ineligible.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright Scholar Grant.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had no experience or only limited experience in the U.S.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree or equivalent professional/terminal degree in their field. Preference is given to individuals who have extensive university teaching experience and a productive scholarly record.
- Applicants may be affiliated with local universities, research institutes, or other institutions that have educational and/or research objectives.
- Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the English language to carry out the project required. TOEFL exams are not required. English Language Proficiency may be tested by Fulbright Offices.
- Scholars must be in good health. Successful candidates will be asked to submit a Medical History and Examination Report.
- Scholars who were unsuccessful in previous competitions may re-apply. Repeat applicants should revise their proposals, update curriculum vitae, and obtain current letters of reference.
- Monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site.
- Monthly dependent allowance for accompanying dependents.
- Round trip airfare for the grantee.
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an eight- to nine month grant.
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel.
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars.
- Settling-in allowance.
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee.
Application link: https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2022