2021 World Ocean Initiative Ocean Changemakers Challenge
Deadline: February 5, 2021.
The Ocean Changemakers Challenge aims to showcase innovators working to develop business solutions to ocean-related sustainability challenges. It is aimed at early-career researchers or professionals.
Building on the success of the Women and the ocean: Changemakers challenge, The Economist Group’s World Ocean Initiative has launched the Ocean Changemakers Challenge, a competition open to men and women that aims to showcase leading changemakers working to develop business solutions to ocean-related sustainability challenges. It is aimed at early-career researchers or professionals.
- Researchers, early-career professionals, entrepreneurs and innovators with solutions to tackle some of the ocean’s greatest challenges, including for example marine pollution, overfishing and overexploitation of marine resources, unsustainable aquaculture, marine engineering and oil drilling, and destruction of ocean habitats.
- Individuals who have been recognised by local communities but not yet by the international ocean community.
- Individuals who are driving change locally and have innovative solutions we could learn from to scale ocean solutions rapidly.
The judges will select three winning applicants, each of whom will receive:
- An opportunity to present the innovation to the World Ocean Summit Virtual Week audience during a dedicated session
- Mentoring from a high-profile ocean mentor, who will work with them over a 12-month period to help refine their ideas and shape their leadership skills.
To enter the Ocean Changemakers challenge, applicants need to submit a short video of no longer than 1 minute in which they address the following question:
“How are you contributing to the sustainable development of the ocean economy? How would you benefit from an ocean leader as a mentor?”
The video should highlight how your work or academic study is creating innovative, viable, scalable and action-oriented business solutions to sustainable blue-economy challenges.
The video should be sent as an unlisted video link on YouTube or Vimeo, or uploaded in a common video format, such as AVCHD, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP4, WEBM or WMV.
OFFICIAL LINK: https://www.woi.economist.com/changemakers/?fbclid=IwAR05Eu1DK_oWynoT98O9TfRs3PY9U75uLgK9KVd7DmwFtpySAIxLF2eyTfY