2021 Reckitt-LSHTM PhD studentships on Hygiene & Health in Sub-Saharan Africa
Deadline: July 11, 2021.
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) invites applications from candidates from Sub-Saharan Africa for fully-funded 4-year PhD studentships to start a research degree programme on 3 January 2022. There are three studentships available.
LSHTM has pre-identified eight research projects that address the links between hygiene and health in Sub-Saharan Africa in one or more of the following areas:
- The role of hygiene in the prevention and transmission of infectious diseases and their consequences
- Hygiene behaviours and hygiene behaviour change
- The intersection of hygiene and broader social and economic impacts
Candidates applying for a PhD studentship under this scheme should choose one of the eight projects listed below that matches their interests, skills and experience and then develop the project further in their application.
Projects to choose from are as follows:
- Exploring how a social business model can promote good menstrual health and improve the lives of women socially and economically
- Hygiene Interventions in Kampala’s Informal Settlements: global health imaginaries and local health realities
- Understanding the sustainability of Menstrual Health and Hygiene interventions in schools in Uganda
- Assessing educational outcomes in a school-based menstrual health and hygiene intervention trial in Uganda
- Economic analysis of a school-based menstrual health and hygiene intervention in Uganda
- Hygiene-related determinants of enteric infection in rural and urban settings of Mozambique
- Economic evaluation of adding hand hygiene and point-of-use chlorination interventions to existing treatment for severe acute malnutrition in Senegal
- Complementary food hygiene, childhood diarrhoea, and antibiotic use: exploratory research in peri-urban Zambia
- Applicants must be nationals of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa and meet the minimum LSHTM entry requirements.
- Applicants should apply via the LSHTM Faculty (ITD, EPH or PHP) of the primary supervisor listed for their chosen project. They should also enter ‘Reckitt-LSHTM Hygiene & Health PhD Studentship’ under ‘LSHTM Scholarship name’ in the ‘Funding Details’ section of the online application form.
- Additional skills and educational requirements are specified for each project. Please see the specific project information for further details.
Each PhD studentship will comprise:
- Tuition fees at the LSHTM overseas fee rate for the duration of the research project (up to 4 years)
- An annual tax-free stipend equal to the UKRI stipend level (inclusive of London weighting)
- Up to GBP20,000 for research costs, travel and/or training
- Information about the PhD programme structure at LSHTM, as well as application guidance and a link to the portal, can be found on the School’s Research Degrees and Doctoral College pages.
- To apply for this studentship, applicants should submit an application for research degree study via the LSHTM application portal. Applications not submitted through this portal will not be considered.