2021 MasterCard Foundation Scholar Masters Program at McGill University for Young Africans
Deadline: January 31, 2021
A central goal of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is to create a globally educated and highly qualified group of future leaders, who, upon graduation, can return to Africa to help foster the region’s development. Toward these ends, McGill complements Scholars’ education with a comprehensive support system that includes mentorship, tailored support services, community service opportunities and sustained programming relevant to their personal development. Scholars also receive guidance and funding for two internships in their home countries during their studies. These internships aim to sustain the Scholars’ connection with their home countries and build a path toward meaningful employment post-graduation.
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Master’s Program at McGill, you must:
- Be eligible to one of the eligible programs at McGill University (see Program List here );
- Have never registered for / completed any graduate studies;
- Be nominated by a current McGill Professor or Staff Member from the department you wish to apply to (see Nomination form );
- Be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of your life in a Sub-Saharan African Country (see List of Eligible Countries );
- Have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and / or community;
- Have an intention to return to your country immediately upon the completion of your degree with the goal of transforming your community through social and economic development;
- Demonstrate that your financial status is in the lowest two quintiles of your country;
- Must be less than 35 years old at the time of application.
In order for your application to the McGill Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program to be considered, you must:
- Be eligible for one of McGill University’s participating study programs (see list of programs here );
- Never have undertaken graduate studies;
- Be nominated by a current McGill professor or administrative staff member of the program of your choice (see application form );
- Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan country and have resided there for a large part of your life (see the list of eligible countries );
- Present an exceptional record of activities and services provided in the school or community environment;
- Intend to return to your country immediately after graduation with the goal of transforming your community by supporting its socio-economic development;
- Prove that your financial situation is in the bottom two quintiles of your country’s population;
- Be under 35 years of age when applying
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill delivers tailored programming that resonates with Scholars’ leadership framework and empowers Scholars through the many transitions they face at McGill and beyond.
OFFICIAL LINK: https://www.mcgill.ca/mastercardfdn-scholars/