2021 Legatum Center Foundry Fellowship for Africa Based Founders
Deadline: May 20, 2021.
The Legatum Center at MIT presents the Foundry Fellowship, a first-of-its-kind leadership program for Africa-based founders who have scaled innovation-driven companies and find themselves at an inflection point in their entrepreneurial journey. The Foundry is a place where Fellows reflect on their entrepreneurial journey, rethink their future leadership roles as entrepreneurs, investors, and thought leaders, and renew their commitment to building entrepreneurship and innovation-led ecosystems.
Candidates should have a demonstrated history of impact, commitment, and concrete connection to the region and have already achieved considerable success with their ventures.
- Have founded and scaled a for-profit innovation-driven company* on the African continent, with a preference for founders of companies with operations in Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, and Uganda;
- Applicants who have founded and scaled a company outside of Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, or Uganda should have a demonstrated interest in supporting economic growth in at least one of the aforementioned seven countries;
- Are at an inflection point in their entrepreneurial journey and are considering the next phase;
- Are prepared to dedicate time and space for their own self-discovery and leadership development to achieve the next milestone;
- Are able to participate in regular online sessions and cohort activities, from September 2021 through March 2022 (note: additional time is required for readings and exercises); and,
- Are able to commit to a three-week in-person session in April 2022.
- Founders from the same company may apply, but each founder must complete a unique application. Each founder will be considered independent of a co-founder.
- MIT alumni and current degree candidates are welcome to apply.
The Foundry Fellowship is a fully-funded six-month program. Fellows will complete an interactive curriculum designed to:
- Increase their leadership acumen;
- Explore pathways to impact as entrepreneurs, policymakers, thought leaders, and investors;
- Exchange practical knowledge with MIT faculty and students; and,
- Engage in multi-stakeholder networking opportunities in the MIT ecosystem.
The learning journey will culminate in a three-week in-person immersive program in which Fellows will have the opportunity to engage with MIT faculty, investors, thought leaders, and policy influencers. This immersive experience will give Fellows insight into how to design cutting-edge programs, implement practices, and create policies that are transferable to their markets. Fellows will also have the opportunity to showcase their ventures and lessons in innovation with MIT faculty, staff, and students.
The Legatum Center is accepting nominations and applications from interested entrepreneurs.
Nominees will receive an invitation to complete the application process. A nomination does not guarantee acceptance, nor is it required to apply. Eligible entrepreneurs may submit an application without a nomination. Nominations must be submitted by May 20, 2021.
Applicants, including nominees, must submit a complete application before the application submission deadline on June 10, 2021, at 11:59 PM EDT. The application includes the following components:
- Personal demographic information and contact information;
- Details about your role as a founder and your company;
- Essay questions on your interest in the Fellowship program;
- A resume outlining your educational background, professional experience, leadership positions held, and community engagement;
- A 3-minute video essay [prompt provided in the online application form] and;
- Two letters of recommendation.