2021 DAAD Leadership for Africa Masters Scholarship Programme for Eastern Africans
Deadline: July 2, 2021.
The scholarship programme “Leadership for Africa” (LfA) aims to support the academic qualification and advancement of young refugees and national scholars from Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia and South Sudan at higher education institutions in Germany. In times of conflicts and displacement in various African countries, this programme intends to contribute to the education of future leaders, who will be essential for the reconstruction and / or further development of their home countries. “Leadership for Africa” offers scholarships for studies in Germany to qualified applicants in all fields of study with the exception of public health, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, the arts and architecture. All “Leadership for Africa” scholarship holders benefit from a complementary study programme in good governance, civil society and sustainable project management
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree which qualifies to study for a master at an officially recognized university in Germany.
- A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of at least 2nd class upper division level is required.
- As a rule, not more than 6 years should have passed since the completion of the last academic degree
- Good English or good German language skills.
- Notification of admission from the German host university for the desired master study programme; Please note that the applicant itself is responsible for ensuring to apply for admission at the host university by the due date. If notification of admission or the application process itself is not yet available at the time of application, it must be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study begins. A Scholarship Award Letter from the DAAD is only valid if you have been admitted to a master study programme at a public German Institute for Higher Education.
- If necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) in Germany before the start of the study programme including the coverage of the test fees for a German language certificate
- Accompanying study programme
- Monthly scholarship rate payments of 861 EURO
- Adequate health, accident and private/personal liability insurance in Germany
- Travel allowance
- One-off study allowance
- If applicable, family allowance and monthly rent subsidy
Please note that all documents must be uploaded into the portal. Incomplete applications will be formally rejected and will be excluded from the application process.
- DAAD application form duly completed (available on the DAAD Portal)
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages) containing information about the applicant’s academic career to date and current or previous employers (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu
- Letter of Motivation (1-3 pages) containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic / professional and personal reasons for the choice of degree programme and for wishing to participate in the programme
- DAAD Form “Information about your preferred master programmes” duly completed and proof of contact to the universities of the desired master programmes. Please be aware that DAAD can´t pay tuition fees. This should be taken into consideration while deciding for the master programmes.
- Proof of necessary language skills
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted at least at the time of arrival in Germany, if studies have not been completed at the time of application.
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s), incl. explanation of grading system (Transcript of Records)
- A summary of your undergraduate project or thesis (e.g. Bachelor´s thesis) (1 page). If your undergraduate studies did not include a final project or thesis, please upload a short explanation instead.
- Copy of school-leaving certificate which entitles holders to study at a university in the home country (with all individual grades)
German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language (points 6 to 8)
- Copies of the applicant’s passport and copies of the applicant’s passport biodata page and other documents containing information about the applicant and their current residence status. If applicable: UNHCR registration