2021 BBC World Service Senior Journalist, BBC Africa, Uganda Recruitment
Deadline: November 25, 2020.
The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and social media. Africa’s media landscape is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and television migrating from analogue to digital.
The BBC is looking for a Senior Journalist – Reporter based in Uganda to provide oversight for a range of TV, Radio and Digital content in English and Swahili which will appeal to young audience and women.
- The Reporter will play a crucial role providing timely, expert and authoritative coverage of news and current affairs events in Uganda and the surrounding regions in both English and Swahili.
- You will broadcast on news topics and events (political, economic, social, cultural, scientific, sport, etc.) in a manner which is timely, authoritative, lively, interesting and readily understandable by a non-specialist audience.
- As Senior Journalist you will pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- The ideal candidate must have recent and relevant experience as a TV reporter or Journalist with outstanding language skills of written and spoken English. Swahili is desirable and an added advantage.
- You will have excellent skills in both TV and Radio scripting and presentation with demonstrated ability to identify strong and distinctive stories.
- You will have a good understanding of digital platforms and the types of content which do well on them.
- A thorough familiarity of the region, an in depth knowledge of the audience requirements and a good understanding of youth issues and the media interests of various age groups is needed for the role along with a thorough knowledge of national affairs together with an understanding of international affairs.