2021 Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Summer School
Deadline: April 14, 2021.
Applications for ACU Summer School 2021 are now open. Students at ACU member universities are invited to join us on 2-13 August for a two-week virtual event exploring the theme ‘Urban disasters: Vulnerability and resilience in a pandemic’.
The ACU Summer School is a transformative opportunity which connects students across the Commonwealth. Participants can expect:
- Talks by leading international speakers
- Engaging and challenging group project work
- Networking opportunities
- Intercultural sessions
- Skills development
- The chance to learn about the history and culture of Mumbai.
In order to apply:
- Participants must be a current postgraduate (Master’s/PhD) or final-year undergraduate students at ACU member university .
- Participants must not have previously travelled outside their home region or already participated in an ACU Summer School.
The event is multi-disciplinary: it is appropriate both for those studying fields related to disaster studies, and students from other fields who are interested in how they can apply their discipline to the theme.
Complete an online application form. As part of the form, students must attach an academic reference from a lecturer at their current university and answer the following questions in 150-250 words each:
- Explain how your academic studies and/or interests, achievements, work experience and volunteering experience fit with the theme of the summer school
- Briefly describe a challenge related to the COVID-19 pandemic experienced by a town/city in your country and how the community responded
- How could the subject that you are studying/researching contribute to addressing a challenge related to the COVID-19 pandemic, or future pandemics?
- Explain how you plan to share and communicate the knowledge gained during the summer school