2021 Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Interim Head of Membership and International Strategic Engagement Recruitment
Deadline: November 17, 2020.
The ACU are currently recruiting for an interim Head of Membership and International Strategic Engagement (HMISE) to join us on a fixed term contract until July 2021. This post holder will play a key role in enabling the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) to build a better world through higher education through its core purpose, its membership. We work with our members to advocate on issues of importance to them, including climate and resilience, access, inclusion and rights and addressing digital divides. We work in partnerships to host events, provide capacity-building opportunities and grants, and build policy and practitioner resources.
At the ACU we believe that international collaboration is central to this ambition. By bringing universities together from around the world – and crucially the people who study and work within them – we help to advance knowledge, promote understanding, broaden minds, and improve lives. We champion higher education as a cornerstone of stronger societies, supporting our members, partners, and stakeholders as they adapt to a changing world.
- Educated to at least degree level, preferably in a relevant discipline
- Understanding of, and affinity with, issues in international higher education, ideally in both a developed and developing country context. This may have been gained through working in a higher education institution
- Strong leadership skills, including strategic thinking, excellent team management, inclusive leadership, and collaborative working across teams
- An understanding of membership engagement and customer service principles affecting international membership bodies
- Strong track record of strategic engagement in an international context
- Track record of effective external relationship management including presentation to clients/partners, networking, international working and conferences at a senior level; experience of running committees
- Excellent communications (written and verbal) and inter-personal skills, including the ability to make effective presentations to senior level officials as well as writing for and understanding of different audiences and sensitivity for different cultural contexts
- Excellent networking, negotiation and influencing skills
- Good project management skills
- Experience of change management, including managing teams through change
- Benefits include 31 days holiday per year (including 4 Christmas closure days) plus bank holidays.
- Competitive pension scheme (10% employer contribution plus 5% employee contribution)
- Season ticket loan and excellent support for learning and development through a range of educational and networking activities.