2021 African Population and Health Research Center Data Scientist Recruitment
Deadline: March 8, 2021.
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Scientist for the INSPIRE Platform for Evaluation and Analysis of COVID-19 Harmonized (PEACH) data project.
The Data Scientist will:
- Prepare lists of potential institutions and organizations with COVID-19 data.
- Prepare and define the required data specifications for COVID-19 data.
- Develop scripts for data extraction and data transfer from collected COVID-19 data into the INSPIRE data specifications.
- Conduct daily quality assurance checks on the collected data.
- In consultation with the common data model (CDM) manager, and other technical staff, ensure data standards are aligned with program and project priorities.
- Contribute to the development of scientific data standards for research data.
- Take part in training and workshops organized by INSPIRE, both physically and virtually.
- Under the direction of the INSPIRE team, engage with the training and mentoring of data staff of INSPIRE network members to ensure continuity of data and data provenance.
- Prepare monthly progress reports on their work.
- Inform and take directions from their line managers in INSPIRE to ensure continuity of data operations.
- Liaise with the team managing the CDM, including INSPIRE Network members based at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), to ensure their work fits within the scope of the INSPIRE CDM.
- Attend meetings and workshops organized by INSPIRE, as required; the workshops may be around data management, upload, analysis, writing up and planning.
- Provide administrative support across work-streams; handle meeting invitations, bookings, training venues, training materials and support the organization of periodic meetings for the INSPIRE.
- Develop coordination strategies for webinars and teleconferences input into various standard documents and support the organization of the training workshops.
- Internalize the project work plan and anticipate administrative needs to support implementation and project work-streams. This will include working with partners to gather project requirements, maintaining a system for monitoring project activities, milestones and deliverables on a monthly basis as well as maintaining the INSPIRE learning platform and provide support to partners using the platform as needed.
- Prepare quarterly, intermediate and annual program status reports required for management and donors. These reports will reflect achievements made, challenges and solutions.
- Draw narratives of how INSPIRE works with stakeholders and partners to strengthen capacity of health systems.
- Establish and maintain technical contacts with other stakeholders and partners, lead on communication with INSPIRE members and respond to queries as needed, provide information to concerned parties on progress, problems, required changes and document actions to the project’s implementation for the consideration of the team.
- Provide administrative support for proposal development for continued funding of the INSPIRE activities.
- Assist in completion of administrative forms and requests.
The ideal candidate would have worked with health data (preferably longitudinal health data), has experience with health and demographic surveillance systems (HDSS) and is familiar with the data procedures from INDEPTH network
- Master of Statistics, Data Science, M&E, Econometrics, Software Engineering, Demographic Research, Information Systems or equivalent in relevant area. .
- At least 3-5 years’ post first degree experience with data management of longitudinal, medical research studies and in handling large datasets.
- Knowledge of a programming language such as Python, Perl, R, JAVA, or equivalent.
- Excellent communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and program management skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and in teams.
- Fluent in English.
The appointment will be for a two –year period renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding; the expected start date is preferably no later than April 01, 2021. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by March 08, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi