2020 YALI RLC Power Africa Leadership Training for Young Women in the Energy sector in East & Central Africa
Deadline: March 13, 2020.
Are you interested in increasing your leadership skills, strengthening your professional networks, gaining new career opportunities, and demonstrating a desire to take on a greater leadership role?
The Young African Leaders Initiative Regional Leadership Center East Africa (YALI RLC-EA) and Power Africa, a U.S government led partnership coordinated by USAID that aims to double access to electricity in Sub-Saharan Africa by 2030, have partnered to invest in young female African leaders who are working in or involved in Africa’s energy sector. This investment is through the Young Women in African Power program. This special opportunity is part of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
The 4-week residential program will engage in leadership training in the energy sector focusing on individual and team leadership skills, innovation and communication. The program’s emphasis is on interactive and experiential learning, which fosters each participant’s ability to contribute both individually, and in teams.
Admission to the Young Women in African Power Program is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are women, 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission
- Must have experience working in or leading a project in the energy sector
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania,and Uganda
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English
- Must have a passport valid for the period of the program
- Ability to commit to a four-week residential training program in Nairobi, Kenya
1. There is no fee to apply for or participate in the program.
2. The program will cater for round-trip transportation to the Center, lodging, meals, and course materials for the successful participants.
3. The training is residential and requires a commitment to attend all sessions in person at the Regional Leadership Center in East Africa (Nairobi, Kenya).
The selection panel will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership, engagement, interest and/ or professional experience in the Energy sector
- Active engagement in community service, volunteerism or mentorship
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others
- Strong social and communication skills
- An energetic and positive attitude
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your community, country,the continent of Africa and beyond
To apply, click
(Link to application platform)