2020 World Health Organization Administrative Assistant II, Revolving Funds Recruitment
Deadline: March 6, 2020.
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The primary objective of the Department of Health Systems and Services is to strengthen health systems based on Primary Health Care, supporting universal health coverage. Its work encompasses the following areas: strengthening of health systems governance for social protection in health; strengthening of regulatory frameworks and financial protection for progressive realization of the right to health; organizing people-centered, integrated health service delivery; promoting access to and rational use of quality, safe, and effective health technologies; strengthening national health research systems, and promoting the integration of scientific knowledge into health care, health policies, and technical cooperation; and developing human resources for health.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Health Systems and Services (HSS), and the direct supervision of the Unit Chief, Medicines and Health Technologies (HSS/MT), the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Provide support for the overall management of processes for eligibility and technical requirements compliance of vaccines, medicines and health-related supplies under the Organization’s Revolving Fund mechanisms, including but not limited to bid solicitation processes and country claims; receive, review, and distribute all incoming requests; highlight the main topics identifying and referring items requiring immediate attention/decision to the appropriate technical officer;
- Classify, manage and archive all technical information sent by manufacturers, through the Procurement and Supply Management Department (PRO), for bid solicitations and requests for quotations (RFQs) for both PAHO Revolving Funds and maintain supplier/product databases;
- Receive, review, and distribute to the appropriate technical officer all incoming claims related to potential quality, safety, or efficacy of the products procured under the Organization’s Revolving Fund mechanisms;
- Assist in the development and implementation of a Quality Management System (QMS) for the products procured by the PAHO Revolving Funds (Revolving Fund and Strategic Fund);
- Assist in reviewing the technical information submitted by manufacturers for bid solicitations and RFQs for both Revolving Funds;
- Prepare summary reports indicating the level of compliance of the technical offers received for the Organization’s Revolving Fund mechanisms;
- Perform basic analysis and summary reports of potential claims received related to the quality, safety, or efficacy of products procured by the Organization’s Revolving Fund mechanisms;
- Provide administrative support when logistical arrangements are required for national and regional workshops, related to the Organization’s Revolving Fund mechanisms;
- Provide training and orientation to temporary and support staff on applicable Organization’s procedures and guidelines;
- Participate in the implementation and development of the technical activities of the Revolving Funds as defined in the Biennial Work Plan (BWP);
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: Certification of completion of High School.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Five years of experience in administrative work related to project management support activities, including experience in financial and budgetary operations. Five years of experience in administrative work related to procurement of health supplies and quality assurance or three years of administrative work related to procurement of health supplies and quality assurance, and one year of college or university level courses towards a declared major/minor in the area of science/business administration/procurement/quality management systems.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Knowing and managing yourself: Remains productive even in an environment where information or direction is not available, and when facing challenges; recovers quickly from setbacks, where necessary. Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others. Seeks feedback to improve knowledge and performance; shows self- awareness when seeking and receiving feedback; uses feedback to improve own performance. Seeks informal and/or formal learning opportunities for personal and professional development; systematically learns new competencies and skills useful for job; takes advantage of learning opportunities to fill competencies and skill gaps.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Suggests and articulates effective and efficient proposals for change as needed when new circumstances arise. Quickly and effectively adapts own work approach in response to new demands and changing priorities. Is open to new ideas, approaches and working methods; adjusts own approach to embrace change initiatives.
- Producing Results: Prioritizes work and makes planning/Organizational adjustments as necessary; seeks clarification from supervisor on timelines, as needed. Uses feedback and inputs from supervisor to achieve results. Produces quality results and has frequent discussions with supervisor to achieve results. Is action-oriented and sees tasks through to completion. Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results. Solicits and accepts direction and guidance from supervisor and team members and takes responsibility for own work and actions, as appropriate.
- Word processing in accordance with established standards.
- Ability to write/originate routine and non-routine correspondence and reports in English and Spanish.
- Ability to prepare working translations.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and carry out administrative processes such as: processing of procurements requests, meeting reports, preparation of formal publications, budget and expenditures records, and acquisition of supplies.
- Ability to research, analyze and organize information in order to prepare charts, graphics, reports, etc.
- Ability to coordinate, monitor and control administrative services affecting several projects and involving the allocation of work, developing/adjusting operational procedures, evaluating priorities, coordinating and supporting internal day-to-day activities, etc.
Languages:Very good knowledge of English and Spanish.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio, Workday, SPC Explorer RT, In-Tend and Project will be an asset.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)US$ 42,610.00