2020 WCS Nigeria Program Field Manager Recruitment for Nigerians
Deadline: January 6, 2020.
The WCS Nigeria Program is seeking ethical and responsible Nigerians for the position of ‘Field Manager in the Oban Division and the Okwangwo Division of Cross River National Park ’. The person’s primary responsibility is to provide support to anti-poaching patrols inside the national park by rangers of the Nigeria National Park Service. The position will report to the Cross River Landscape Director and will be based in Calabar. It is expected that the field manager will spend roughly 3 weeks in the field each month.
1. Support anti-poaching camping patrols by rangers in Cross River National Park. The field manager will provide support for long-distance foot patrols by rangers working with counterpart staff of the Nigeria National Park Service, the field manager will:
2. To reduce illegal activities such as hunting and logging. This will include the provision of essential camping equipment, field rations and camping allowances and arrest bonuses.
3. Provide training support for rangers and help build local capacity. This post will participate in regular refresher training for rangers, including training in human rights and will help build local capacity through on the job training.
4. Provide support for SMART in the landscape. This post will require IT skills to support the use of SMART (Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool) by all ranger patrols.
5. Provide support for intelligence gathering, and for court proceedings and prosecution. Will include support for the implementation of a grievance mechanism.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in a biological science or related field.
2. Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, conservation and sustainable development.
3. Willing to undertake long-distance foot patrols in the forest with park rangers, and ability to withstand tough field conditions.
4. Strong levels of physical fitness and resilience with an effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic.
5. Minimum 3 years successful experience, preferably working in similar position with an NGO (local or international).
6. Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
7. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
8. The ability to work well in a team but also on your own initiative.
9. Good IT skills.
10. Ability to analyze, prioritize and complete tasks with minimal supervision within strict deadlines.
11. Candidate must be a Nigerian national.
1. Applications should consist of a CV and covering letter.
2. The CV should list three independent professional referees.
3. Contact details for previous employers should also be provided.
4. Please also include details of your salary expectations.
5. Applications should be sent to: email@example.com