2020 U.S. Mission Uganda United States Institutes for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership
Deadline: December 31, 2019.
U.S. Mission Uganda is now accepting applications for the 2020 Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership. The five week program takes place during the June to August time-frame.
SUSI for Student Leaders are intensive short-term academic programs whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The program will examine the history and participation of women in public life in the United States and focus on two major areas: developing participants’ leadership skills in areas such as critical thinking, communication, decision-making, and managerial abilities; and, placing these abilities in the context of the history and participation of women in U.S. politics, economics, culture, and society. The program will also examine the historical domestic progress towards women’s equality in the United States, the current domestic successes and challenges to women in a variety of fields, and current challenges in global women’s issues.
1. Be female
2. Be a Ugandan citizen
3. Be between 18 and 25 years of age
4. Be interested in the topic of women’s leadership
5. Have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program
6. Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United State.
7. Have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations.
8. Demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;Have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country
9. Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive
10. Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel.
11. Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
Interested applicants should email their bio page, one page statement, academic transcripts, and recommendation letter (in one attachment) to email@example.com. Email subject line should read – 2020 SUSI for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership. Applicants’ statements should describe their involvement in leadership, community involvement, what they hope to gain and take back from this program.