2020 One Young World / Asahi Lead 2030 Challenge for SDG 13
Deadline: March 20, 2020.
Climate change is affecting every country on every continent . We know from the IPCC’s 2018 Special Report that Climate-related risks to livelihoods, food security and water supply among others are projected to increase with global warming of 1.5°C and increase further with 2°C. Yet today, the world is on track to warm by more than 3°C by 2100.
Asahi is proud to support the Lead 2030 Challenge for SDG 13. The Challenge aims to find and support solutions that will contribute to the future of sustainable agriculture by supporting and enabling farmers to reduce their emissions and/or help adaptation and resilience against the climate challenges of this decade and beyond. The challenge welcomes solutions from young innovators that:
- Improve the climate resilience of crops through sustainable practices.
- Reduce on-farm GHG emissions, water or energy use through new technologies (e.g. digital solutions)
- Support farmers in fostering innovation and improving access to information, raising awareness of climate risks and new skills training.
- Farm to fork (and bottle!): Whole supply chain solutions to reduce GHG emissions or integrate circular principles beyond the farm to the end point of farmed produce consumption
- Aligned: Evidently aligned with the SDG13 challenge. See ‘Challenge outline’.
- Youth-led: Founded by a person aged 18 – 30.
- Focused: Well-structured time horizon, identified key stakeholders and beneficiaries, and proposed outcomes that are reasonable and well thought out.
- Proven: Readily available, in or past implementation phase.
- Impactful: Solutions must have a positive social impact, for example generating employment, or developing skills.
- Measurable: Impacts of solutions must have been adequately measured and/or be measurable.
- Financially viable: Must be able to achieve efficiency and to survive independently through the resources they generate and/or the investments and donations they attract.
- Scalable: Potential to perform as well or better after expanding in scope or size and/or being transported to other regions.
The winning solution will receive
- A US$50,000 grant from Asahi
- 12 months of mentorship from a team of Asahi professionals. The mentorship team will work to accelerate your solution based on the needs of your initiative or organization, such as:
- Business strategy
- Best practices for data collection
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Product design