2020 Nordic Africa Institute African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme
Deadline: April 1, 2020.
The purpose of the African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is to provide opportunities for postdoctoral researchers based in Africa to work and develop their ongoing research at the Nordic Africa Institute. The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute aims to contribute to building capacity in the production of knowledge about Africa, and to promote and establish relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
1. The scholarship programme is directed at postdoctoral researchers based in Africa and engaged in Africa-oriented research within the disciplines of Social Sciences and Humanities.
2. The applicant should be affiliated to an African university/research center and have a proven track record of extensive research experience.
3. The Institute strives to achieve a fair distribution of scholarship positions in regards to gender and geographic focus.
1. The scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (approx. 42 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 260 USD) and access to a workspace, including a desk computer, in a shared office at the Institute. Please note that the subsistence allowance will be provided only for the days spent in Uppsala.
2. The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Furthermore, Guest Researchers have access to the Uppsala University Library and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
3. Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
Apply online and upload the following documents:
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if available online, please include links)
- Outline of research project, 5 pages:
- A well elaborated research proposal; the research topic must relate to the thematic research areas of the Institute as outlined in the Strategy 2017 – 2021
- A work plan, including expected results, specific for the time spent at the Institute
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field, which confirms current affiliation and field of research.