2020 Mo Ibrahim Foundation MSc in Governance and State-building Scholarship at the University of Birmingham
Deadline: May 6, 2020.
The Governance and Statebuilding programme is one of the specialised streams within international development, and takes an interdisciplinary standpoint, combining the theoretical rigour of political economy and the practical experience of development. The good governance agenda occurs now increasingly alongside debate on state-building, which encompasses issues such as accountability and transparency, corruption, conflict, political settlement, human rights, participation, access to justice and democratisation. Governance and state-building are of particular interest to governments, nongovernmental organisations and development agencies, as well as to a growing and vibrant academic community.
The entry requirements consist of:
- A first class Honours degree or equivalent from an approved university is essential.
- Good written and spoken English. For those whose first language is not English, evidence of this capacity is required. Applicants should reach at least level 6.5 in the IELTS or 580 /93 for TOEFL. Please check the University website for more information on English language requirements.
- Applicants must be African nationals domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country. Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The scholarship includes:
1. Full tuition fee
2. Air fare to and from the United Kingdom and visa
3. Monthly stipend of £950 for 18 months
4. Arrival allowance of £950
The remaining six months for the internship will be funded directly to the successful candidate by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
Applications must be received through the University online application system, by 6 May 2020. In addition to the usual documents to be submitted, you must also upload a 500 word statement and CV. This statement should set out why you are the best candidate for the scholarship.
You must then send your application ID number to Debra Beard. Please include ‘Mo Ibrahim Scholarship’ in the subject line of the email. Please do not include any supporting documents in this email.
OFFICIAL LINK: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/government/departments/international-development/courses/mo-ibrahim.aspx