2020 Latvian State scholarships for Foreign Students
Deadline: April 1, 2020.
In accordance with bilateral agreements on co-operation in education and science concluded between Latvian government and a few countries Latvia offers scholarships to foreign students, researchers and teaching staff for studies, research and participation in summer schools in Latvian higher education institutions (HEIs) in the 2020/2021 academic year. The Ministry of Education and Science of Latvia has delegated the administration of the Latvian state scholarships to the State Education Development Agency (Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra – VIAA).
1. Citizens from countries that have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. To see countries, citizens of which are eligible to apply for the scholarships, look at the section ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS.
2. Language of instruction at Latvian higher education institutions is mainly Latvian, however there are a few study programmes offered in English (please, visit the website www.studyinlatvia.lv for more information).
3. Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2020).
4. Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for one academic year –a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).
5. Scholarship for master`s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master`s study programme.
6. If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to re-apply for the Latvian scholarship. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than for two consecutive terms to one individual.
- The amount of the Latvian state scholarship for studies is:
– for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
– for PhD students – 670 EUR per month.
- All study programmes in English at Latvian higher education institutions are not free of charge. The Latvian scholarship holder can use the scholarship for covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. Please take into account that the amount of the scholarship is not high enough to cover all expenses in Latvia.
- In limited numbers the host higher education institution provides the scholarship holder with a place in a students’ dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation at the international student dormitories need to be submitted one month before arriving at a respective higher education institution.
- In any month in which the foreign student is present in the territory of Latvia for less than 15 calendar days no scholarship is provided.
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses from a home country to and from Latvia are not covered by the Latvian scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
- Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% from the total grant amount for study scholarships.
After that an application form can be filled in on-line and necessary documents can be attached there as well. The system will require following documents to be uploaded:
1. A copy of a letter of the relevant Latvian higher education institution, confirming the foreigner’s opportunity to study in the chosen study programme and informing about the language of instruction (Latvian or other EU official language). Please send to the contact person of the Latvian HEI your CV and diploma supplement (or transcript of records of the last two semesters if studies are not completed jet). List of contact persons of Latvian higher education institutions.
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please use the Europass template: europass.cedefop.europa.eu
3. Letter of motivation (including activities outside studies related to the study field in Latvia or in the home country, e. g. work in professional organisations, participation in scientific conferences, international projects)
4. Photocopies of diplomas of higher education and supplements or a transcript of records of the last two study semesters (if studies are not completed)
5. Copies of two letters of recommendation from academic staff members, signed within the last six months
6. Study plan for duration of the scholarship. Please use the form:
7. A copy of a certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies
8. Copy of an ID (identification document) or a passport.
9. All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English.
Any incomplete applications will not be considered.