2020 Internews’ Earth Journalism Network Indian Ocean Marine Science Workshop for Journalists Around Indian Ocean
Deadline: March 1, 2020.
As a part of the Ocean Media Initiative carried out by Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN), we are seeking journalists to attend a three-day marine science workshop in the Maldives. This opportunity is open to journalists from specific countries around the Indian Ocean to gain a better understanding of marine issues and how to report on them.
The workshop will provide targeted training on current marine topics, including marine protected areas (MPAs), reef and open ocean species (such as tuna, rays and sharks), fisheries, climate change and local issues relating to the dynamics between marine conservation and coastal development. It will be held in the Maldives from 24-26 June 2020.
Selected participants must:
- Commit to attend all days of the workshop.
- Be a resident of one of the priority countries listed below.
- Be able to understand and communicate in English.
- They are primarily seeking journalists based in specific countries from around the Indian Ocean, including; Australia, Comoros, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Maldives, Mauritius, Mozambique, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Tanzania.
- They also highly encourage applications from female journalists, journalists under the age of 30 and those from indigenous or other minority groups.
- Journalists from print, web, radio and television are all encouraged to apply.
Please note that they expect reporters to produce published stories as a result of their participation in his workshop. While they don’t require a letter from your editor supporting your application, they will give preference to those who can show an indication that their work will appear in a media outlet.
- All sessions will be conducted in English.
- EJN will bear the travel, accommodation and meal costs of selected participants.
- Click on the “Apply Now” button on the top right of the page.
- If you have an existing account, you’ll need to log in. If not, you must register for an account by clicking “Join the Network” on the top right of the page.
- If you start the application and want to come back and complete it later, you can click “Save Draft.” To return to the draft, you’ll need to go back to the opportunity and click “Apply Now” again to finalise the application.
- You must submit two samples of stories or links to relevant stories. You’ll be asked to upload these once you start the application process so please get them ready beforehand.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
If you encounter any difficulties with submitting your application or have questions about this opportunity, please email email@example.com.