2020 Institute for Basic Science Young Scientist Fellowship
Deadline: December 13, 2020.
With the vision of “Making Discoveries for Humanity and Society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic science in Korea. To date, IBS has 31 Research Centers and each Center has been yielding outstanding results in various research fields.
The IBS “Young Scientist Fellowship” started in 2016 to play an active role in fostering the next generation of basic science leaders. They believe this Fellowship offers junior scientists opportunities to conduct independent research by utilizing state-of-the-art infrastructure and to grow on the basis of research collaborations with leading researchers.
They hope that the Fellowship serves as a stepping stone for their researchers to mature into leading researchers in basic science.
- Within 7 years of obtaining a Ph.D. (obtained no earlier than 1 January 2013) or under the age of 40 with a Ph.D. (born no earlier than 1 January 1980)
※ Ph.D. candidates must be conferred with a Ph.D. degree no later than 28 February 2021.
- Current IBS researchers are eligible to apply, if they meet the above criteria.
- Full-time work and 100% research participation in principle
※ If successful candidates have been also selected for another institute’s research project (e.g. Sejong Science Fellowship, Young Researcher Program of National Research Foundation), their selection may be cancelled.
- Annual budget of KRW 150–300 mil. per year, including salary of KRW 60–70 mil. (up to KRW 150 mil. for theoretical fields and up to KRW 300 mil. for experimental fields)
- Appointment for three years with a possible two-year extension depending on the performance review results
※ When current IBS researchers are selected as a Young Scientist Fellow (YSF) of their Center, support will be offered for up to three years. Please refer to the FAQ for details.
- After physically relocated to one of the IBS Centers, YSFs will conduct independent research by utilizing research facilities and equipment of the Center. YSFs may organize a small research group.
- Selected YSFs must be appointed and commence their research within 2021.
※ If their appointment and research commencement processes are not completed within 2021, their selection may be cancelled.
Apply via the IBS website at http://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf/apply