2020 Halcyon Incubator Fellowship for Early-Stage Social Entrepreneurs
Deadline: October 10, 2019.
The Halcyon Incubator is committed to solving 21st-century challenges throughout the nation and the world. By helping social entrepreneurs transform audacious ideas into scalable and sustainable ventures, the Halcyon Incubator acts as a catalyst for measurable social outcomes. It’s perhaps the most immersive incubator in the world that focuses on both social impact and profit.
During this 18-month fellowship, a diverse cohort of fellows receives free residency and workspace, mentorship and leadership coaching, robust support from business consultants, and a living stipend to develop their entrepreneurial vision into reality.
To be eligible for the Halcyon Incubator, you:
- Must be the CEO or primary decision-maker for the venture’s development and management
- Must be able to make a full-time commitment to work on the venture during the residency phase from February 3, 2020 to June 9, 2020
- Must be able to postpone any undergraduate or graduate course work during the residency phase
- Must already live or work in the U.S. or be able to obtain a visa for the residency phase
- Must be fluent in English
- Must be at least 21 years of age by the start of the program
- Must submit the application by the specified deadline on October 10, 2020
To be eligible for the Halcyon Incubator, your venture:
- Must be an original idea of the applicant(s)
- Must be in startup idea, MVP, or pilot phase
- Must have less than $500,000 annual revenue
- Must be an independent or autonomous venture that is not under the direction of an existing organization
- Must have plans for a sustainable business model to generate revenue by selling a core product or service
- Can be a for-profit, hybrid, non-profit, or undecided venture, as long as the core mission is to create measurable social change
- Can apply with up to two Co-Founders who meet the above eligibility requirements.
1. Space – The Halcyon Incubator was founded to ensure that all social entrepreneurs, regardless of their economic background, can succeed. We give you physical and mental space, so you can focus more of your energy on your venture and achieving your full potential. Halcyon provides for your basic and psychological Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
- Five months of free housing at the historic Halcyon House
- Eighteen months of free workspace at Halcyon, followed by affordable coworking options at Halcyon Arts Lab
- Shared meeting spaces including formal board rooms and creative spaces
- Additional meeting spaces, performance spaces, and free parking at Halcyon Arts Lab
- Makerspace access at the Georgetown University Maker Hub
2. Community – Your journey as an entrepreneur is long and winding. You will experience many ups and downs, and we understand that you will need lots of support along the way. The Halcyon Incubator builds a community of support around you through our unique residential program, extensive post-residency Fellow community, and a robust network of world-class mentors and advisors. These mentors and advisors are seasoned entrepreneurs, experienced change-makers, and leaders across sectors who want to help you.
- Entrepreneurs live and work alongside a diverse cohort of founders who quickly become consultants, confidants, and close friends
- Join a family of 100+ Halcyon Incubator Fellows who have come before you and are prepared to shine a light on the path ahead of you
- Each venture is paired with an experienced, industry-specific mentor who provides weekly guidance, accountability to achieve goals, and support during the residency phase
- Opportunities for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks with Fellows and Halcyon’s broader network to build and nurture relationships
3. Access – You need an ecosystem to build, grow, and sustain a social enterprise. The Halcyon Incubator connects entrepreneurs with key partners to advise and directly support Fellows’ ventures and provide crucial exposure.
- $10,000 stipend during the residency phase
- Opportunities to present directly to ecosystem stakeholders, press, and potential funders at kickoff and final showcase events
- Access to a wide range of innovators, influencers, and community figures through conferences and events
- During the course of the program, Fellows receive more than 100 hours of:
- Strategy and operations consulting provided by Deloitte
- Legal and business advice from Arnold and Porter or Bracewell
- Technical advice and hosting credits from Amazon Web Services
- One-on-one leadership coaching provided in partnership with The HR Sage